NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. New to the site.

So someone did a sweet hit and run on my 1997 Cabrio recently and my insurance co. is calling it a total loss. It sucks but I must move on.

So I am really close to buying a New Beetle Convertible. My budget will probably only allow me to get a 2005. I just want to know peoples thoughts on the reliability of these cars.

I read so many threads about transmission problems and it's making me hesitant. The car I'm looking at is a 2005 NB Convertible Turbo Automatic. It has 75,000 miles on it, 1 owner and a clean carfax.

I guess I just want to know any thoughts you have. How long should a well taken car of Beetle last? Are the Automatic Beetles an unwise purchase. Are 2005 NBC's worse than any other year for any reason?

I am looking at a car tomorrow (saturday 8/20/11) and any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry this is so long!

Jon

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
Was your 97 cabrio an automatic? If it was, it would have had the same tarnsmission as the 4-speed automatic beetles.

the 05 new beetles should have the tiptronic automatics in them, they are far superior than the 4-speeds in the earlier models. The easiest way to tell is that the old 4-speed transmissions had a PRND321 shift gate, and the tiptronics just had a PRND and a side-shift to +/- for manual mode.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey!

no my cabrio was manual and my 85 GTI before that was a manual. i'm really unfamiliar with automatics and some people say to steer clear.

i don't know what to do!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I would drive the car for at least 30 min. to get the transmission good and warm. If it has real rough shifts into and out of 1-4 gears then it is most likely having a valvebody problem . VW sent out a letter to extend the warrenty on these transmissions and the letter is to be transferd to any person who holds title to the car so I ask the owner if he, she or dealer where that letter is. Other than that I think the 05 beetle is a good car. I don't think it has any more problems than any other make of this vintage. NB is a machine and needs maintanence and it is not if, but when it breaks it needs to be repaired. I don't have a vert ,but it seems to me that the vert owners have had some window issues. Maybe some one that has a convertable can commnet on that. I am happy with my 05 GLS Domigo, 120000+ mi., runs super. GOOG HUNTING!:)

·
Registered
119 Posts
O ya, one more thing. It does probrably has the 6sp tiptronic transmission. If you buy it I would have the tranny fluid and filters changed. Sealed transmissions with unlimited milage is BS! It should be changed about every 50k. Ask any transmission expert. The timing belt and water pump will have to be changed around 90-95k, I wouldn't push it to 100000 like VW recomends. These are must mantainence, and cannot be avoided. These are not inexpencive proceedures unless you can do it yourself. Perhaps you can use this information in your price negociations.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for taking the time to express your thoughts...

So you think I would need to change the transmission fluid and filters right away? How much does something like that cost? Does VW perform this service even though they don't endorse it?

Anyone else have any advice at all?

·
Beetleman
430 Posts
If your previous VW's were manual transmissions, why not look for a manual NBC?
There are many available at varying price ranges and they are generally a bit lower in price than automatics anyway.
The fun factor is way higher with a manual, IMHO, and that's especially true with the vert.
As far as reliability goes, the early NBC were somewhat problematic with electronics. Window regulators and sensors were the main culprits. The '04 and newer model years had most of those problems ironed out.
If you're looking at convertibles, be sure to test the top operation.
Have the car scanned for any DTC stored in the ECU memory. Check to see that all recall service has been done. As mentioned, based on mileage, you may be looking at timing belt service as well. The 1.8T is a pretty bullet proof engine. With proper maintenance it will last for well over 100K miles using proper oil and filters.
So, bottom line is you shouldn't be afraid of the NBC or mileage.
The trick is knowing how well the car was cared for and what, if any, problems may exist. Good luck with your search :)

·
Reverse engineered UFO's
64 Posts
If a 2005 or newer I wouldn't worry about the autobox! They are much better than earlier ones. And depending on mileage I wouldn't insist on a fluid change either... The timing belt et al IS major and if the mileage is 90K or higher I would demand proof that it is changed. When timing belt is changed water pump should be also (they are in the same area). Good luck.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I too, have an '05, 2.0L (wish it was a 1.8T, but it is a Special Edition that was not built with the T available, but not because it is a better engine, just a little more frisky). I'm certain, if it is an automatic, that it has the six speed Tip, so basically you have a standard, just no clutch. You also have the option of driving it with the automatic in position 2, which changes the auto shift ranges and makes it a little more sporty to drive, just not as fuel efficient.

The '05 is the result of the bugs being worked out of the '03 and '04. It also has the improved Sound System, probably the Monsoon CD or CD/SAT, with 10 speaker configuration. The '04s still had the tape deck and less speakers.I personally would not buy back further than the '05. I would, however, budget a TB & WP change into it immediately, unless the PO can prove this has been done. Your perspective new Bug is due! If it hasn't been, negotiate the price down about $800 to have an independent VW shop do it. Lots of threads around here about this.

The '06 was a major change, body restyling and engine change. You'll see this reflected in used prices.

You must understand, a NB is a novelty car, and as such requires a little more care and maintenance than your typical Toyota or Nissan. This is probably best stated in a post by one of our fellow Orgers
To the newbie, courtesy “billymade”
http://newbeetle.org/forums/questions-issues-concerns-problems-new-beetle/50898-anyone-ever-experienced.html

Only rely on the Carfax for previous ownership change, it is totally undependable for accident history and maintenance. It the Seller will allow it, VW will do an extensive inspection of the car for about $100. You want the same inspection they do when they offer a pre-owned on the CPO lot (Certified Pre-Owned). It will tell you much about the condition of the Bug, and is money well spent, as I'm have to believe you are looking at spending in the $10k range for what you are looking at. If the car has any significant mods, i.e. big amped up speakers, body mods, etc, I would pass. Typically, these car's owners put their money in doing the show thing, not the required maintenance. NO FLACK from anyone, there are exceptions, but few.

I am happy with my 05 GLS Domigo
I didn't realize you had a Domingo, my favorite Special Edition Sedan! :)

MORAV

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks sooo much for these replies. it means a lot! i feel like i'm going into this test drive with a better understanding. 'myother...' your post makes a lot of sense to me.

i actually do want a manual because that is what i know but i think i should go ahead and test drive this turbo to see if it fits my zippiness requirements. i don't know about other parts of the country but manuals are definitely fewer and farther between since i've been looking. maybe everyone keeps those.

i'll still take any other advice anyone has!

thanks again guys!

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
No, they just make way less of them. It's a demand thing, and with the Tip it is actually no different than having a standard other than no clutch. Test drive it, drive it hard, I know you'll like the Tip. You have to go to the alternate shift pattern on the right side, and it's a straight line shifter. The shift indicator on the dash (P-N-D-2-R), changes and becomes the gear indicator (1-2-3-4-5-6) The computer will keep you from shifting when it can't be shifted safely. The Turbo with Tip is a pleasure to drive and all the "quick and zip" you'll need. Even if you want to get lazy occasionally and drive it with the Position 2 Auto feature.

Let us know what YOU think of it after a good test drive!.

M.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Don't forget about the sport mode, I use that in the city all the time. I use the tip side in heavy 80 mph freeway traffic and regular drive on long distance travel and crusing through the parks and shopping malls and such. It is a very verseitlle transmission.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Don't forget about the sport mode, I use that in the city all the time. I use the tip side in heavy 80 mph freeway traffic and regular drive on long distance travel and crusing through the parks and shopping malls and such. It is a very verseitlle transmission.
Yeah, that's what I was referring to with "position 2".! Forgot that's what VW called it. Found by shifting to the "2" below the "D"!

·
Super Moderator
14,756 Posts
I don't know where you're located, but my ex husband is selling our (now his) 2005 Tornado Red 1.8T, Tiptronic, New Beetle Convertible, with 33K miles, for $12,500.... :eek:

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I don't know where you're located, but my ex husband is selling our (now his) 2005 Tornado Red 1.8T, Tiptronic, New Beetle Convertible, with 33K miles, for $12,500.... :eek:
Couple grand high, but I'm sure a nice and well maintained car. Love the body color, what top and interior? Cream, I would hope. Drop me a note Deb if he gets real on the price.

M.

·
Super Moderator
14,756 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Couple grand high? You have not seen that car, have you? It has been meticulousley maintained, and garaged it's whole life. Couple grand high? You're high! :wink2:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/photos-new-beetles/52-thunder-bugs-2005-tornado-red-1-8t-
The link goes nowhere on my computer, "address cannot be found" is indicated. In fairness, and as a check, I ran it on Edmunds with EVERY available option. The price is beyond book (Edmunds PPS), but there may be someone out there... After all, a value is only what someone is willing to pay. The sales venues for an indivduals to get this kind of money are very limited, he can't offer financing nor do a CPO. This is the way Dealers get those kind of numbers, but like I said, there may be someone out there...

I'm just as maticulous with my Vette, 10 years old, 9k miles, PERFECT. $55k car worth $20k, IF the right Buyer comes along.

M.

·
Wife's 01 1.8T mechanic
629 Posts
Couple grand high? You have not seen that car, have you? It has been meticulousley maintained, and garaged it's whole life. Couple grand high? You're high!
Now we know why he's not with you anymore ;)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts