VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 2002 GLS TDI a few weeks ago and after finally getting it running after an alternator swap I'm ready to start enjoying this car.

It is a Blue (don't know the exact name of the color) 2002 GLS TDI. It has a few bumps and bruises, but overall it has a very nice running motor, and a smooth transmission. I bought it with 184k on the ODO, but the diesel motor feels like it has much less miles. I will be using it as a daily driver, but want to fix some of the rough areas and get it in good shape without spending too much.

My girlfriend has named him BUZZ.

Here is a list of the things I want to do to get Buzz looking good and running strong.

-Alternator -Check
-replace headliner
-get scratches out of dash
-Fix fading paint on roof. I'm considering doing a vinyl wrap on the roof.
-Clean the headlights and get them back to clear plastic
-Tint the windows
-Fix the front interior door panels
-replace the cabin air filter. the vents are blowing out small pieces of grey foam. Where is that coming from?
-other things to come, but those are the basics.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,413 Posts
Welcome! I'd make sure you have documentation of a recent timing belt job. If you don't, that should be at the top of the list!

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
Definitely find out about the TB and if it's unknown, change it post haste. As for some of your list...

Headliner DIY -

I used this 3M kit to clean up the headlights on my GFs car http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AIZ5HY

They gray foam probably isn't the cabin filter but either the blend door or just pieces of foam that are around joints in the ducting. Vinyl wrap would be easy to do on the roof. Is the paint faded or is it just oxidizing?

·
Super Moderator
14,832 Posts
I think the blue for 2002 was called Marlin Blue. I test drove a 2002 TDI that was Marlin Blue in 2002, but we went for the gasser - 6-speed Turbo S!

I hope all goes well, as a TDI is an awesome engine! Wish I still had my 2003! :eek:

Welcome to the Org! :wave2:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Here is a list of the things I want to do to get Buzz looking good and running strong.

-get scratches out of dash
You are probably talking about the "soft touch" black paint. After a few years, it really starts looking bad. Several options, if you do a search you will find several that have sanded and repainted with good results. 91% Isopropyl Alcohol works pretty well to clean it (you have to go to a drugstore to find it). Last resort is replacement, I found a very nice center section on ebay from a later car.
-Clean the headlights and get them back to clear plastic
I've never had much luck with cleaning plastic lights, they seem to look bad again in a few months. New Hella units are about $220 each.
-replace the cabin air filter. the vents are blowing out small pieces of grey foam. Where is that coming from?
Almost certainly the blend doors. This is a bit of a major project. If you remove the evaporator, I would think about replacing the heater core while you are in there.
http://newbeetle.org/forums/questions-issues-concerns-problems-new-beetle/41973-blend-door-diy.html

Good luck, I'm sure once you get it sorted you will really like it. I have a Jetta TDI wagon and my wife drives our Beetle TDI. We got the Beetle a few months ago, it took a bit to sort out but is now a very nice car.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,413 Posts
The 3M headlight kit works pretty well. We did it on my husband's '01 Jetta and it held up for about a year.

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
I need to get it done on my TDI too but there's higher things on the "list o stuff to do".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts