NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried fixing my top 5 times by myself..it just never worked. I guess it had been like that for too long an some how it wouldnt stretch back to its normal top. So I took it to a upholstery place yesterday an this is the outcome. ..im not complaining im just glad I wont have to worry about leaking on my 2 little girls in the back seat when it rains

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Attachments

·
Registered
758 Posts
I'm sure that was far cheaper than a replacement top.

·
Registered
14,056 Posts
So tell us more about what the upholstery shop did and how much it cost you. From the picture you posted; i can see what looks to be a plastic/vinyl window was sewn into your original top? Certainly a less expensive solution; the only downside I can see is the original glass would not have the tendency to become hard to see through as the sun affects the plastic, Over time. There are always pros and cons to every repair solution; from what I can tell this is the most cost-effective solution for you at the moment. Repairing these convertible tops are going to become more and more of a issue as time goes on; especially as these cars keep getting older!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They charged me $80 an they glued another piece of the same material my top is, an im guessing they also cut my original top because it was already shredding and falling apart from the times I tried to do it myself. But that is the original glass

·
Registered
14,056 Posts
Wow, I would say; that repair, was a bargain and your original glass is back in, like it should be? What is not to like; I'm surprised they charged you; so little, for the repair! I guess; the key here; is that it is, functional and sealed from the elements! Congrats! :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At first it didnt seem like he wanted to do it but I had told him he already talked to me about it an he then said 100..I was like well you told me 80..but that was it the new glued piece is overlapping my glass about 1inch..but its alright

1 - 7 of 7 Posts