NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Focus twice, shoot once
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad: Boy what fun I had Tuesday! :rolleyes:

Ok, I am the one who sees to it my fluids are up to snuff, I make sure I always have 93 octane and reset the mileage counter with each and every fill up. I like to compare the mileage per tank. I even remind my hubby to pick me up some fuel injector cleaner every 4th tank.

Well, Tuesday I took my bi-weekly trip to Huntsville, left home... checked the gas level as I always do and it looked fine. I knew I had enough to get to Redstone Arsenal from my home. That’s what I thought! From the position of the needle, it looked as though I had at least 15 or so miles left to go.

As I was driving over the Tennessee River Bridge my car choked up big time. Even the mileage on the counter read under the norm. I hit my emergency flasher, got in the right lane and was able to get myself over the bridge and some what out of the way. There were huge, fast 18 wheelers passing by so close it shifted my car.

I called *HP and waited an hour.....nada, called back and they patched me through to the Huntsville PoPo. 40 minutes later a cop picked me up and drove to the closest gas station but had to leave me there. They can’t transport fuel in squad cars. Oh, this was in south Huntsville where all the strip joints and liquor stores are, not a place you want you hang for long.

So, I had to rely on the kindness of strangers. I asked the first kind face I saw. This very sweet woman named Deb took time out of her work schedule to help me. I tried to pay her but she wouldn’t take it. I gave her a big bear hug and told her what a blessing she was. I believe in “Paying it forward”, or “doing unto others”. What goes around comes around. She was delighted with my Bug too.

This is my question. Has this ever happened to you? This is the first time my gauge has been that off. Should I have my service tech look at it? Does anyone have any suggestions? I DO NOT want that to happen again.

Thanx, Gail

·
Premium Member
11,013 Posts
why why why do you let it get so low? I would never trust it that close. There are too many variables, wind resistance, going uphill, hitting all the red lights.You were lucky you found an honest and helpful person .

·
I bleed Burnt Orange!
687 Posts
When the light comes on, I head for the gas station.

I figure when the light comes on I have between 20 and 40 miles before empty, so why risk it.

·
Diesel Inside
359 Posts
Yup...too many variables. I've had tanks range from 42 mpg to 50 mpg...multiply by 15 and you get a range of 120 miles it could be different...that's too much to play around with. I do pay attention a little more than the average cat about what type of driving I have done and I can usually guess pretty close what the mpgs are going to be based on the type of driving I've done on that tank. But still. When the light comes on...I'm filling up within the next 25 miles...even though I know I could go (and have gone) more ;).

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
We had an issue where we were showing about 1/8 of a tank but no low fuel warning light yet - but on the interstate it hesitated a couple of times.

I'm the paranoid 1/4 tank fill up kind of person and normally never let it get that low. Once I filled it up, the problem went away - which leads me to believe the gauge is wrong.

BTW, another thing filling up at 1/4 tank does is prevent you burning up your fuel pump when it sucks air when it runs out of fuel (not to mention any "debris" getting stuck in the sock filter)

·
20V GTRS
1,120 Posts
VW has the low fule light mis-labeled, it should read "WALKING LIGHT." When I see mine come on I find the nearest gas station and fill up so I dont take any chances.

·
What's in a title?
36 Posts
The gas guages on NB's don't appear to me to be symmetric at all. That is, the amount of gas in a tank reading 1/4 is NOT 1/4 of the total fuel the tank can hold. I say this because, on my NB at least, the rate at which the needle drops increases the lower it gets. So, when the tank is full, a drop from full to 3/4 is much slower than the drop from 1/2 to 1/4. In fact, I know when the car hits 1/4 that I better fill it up pretty soon, because that light is going off real quick like. Once the light is on, one better be looking for a gas station, because you just don't have much fuel left.

On a cautious note: it is not good to run your car out of gas. You really do not want to introduce air into the fuel system. Try therefor to keep the tank closer to full rather than empty. I know it can be hard with gas as pricy as it is... but a fuller tank prevents condensation or ice formation in the tank, which then results in moisture in the fuel and all the non-fun things that moisture does to metal.

Have a SUPER cali fragilistically blessed day

1 - 7 of 7 Posts