NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so ... I have an '05. I've NEVER had difficulty with opening/ closing the top. (I - long ago- got it down with one hand (maneuvering the handle.) As many of you have noticed ... in colder weather... it's deifnitely a little bit tighter... and so ...a few weeks ago, ... when I went to close it ... I feel I may have forced it a bit.

Now ... just today... the light started blinking on that indicates my top isn't latched/sealed... but - of course - it is.

When I went to turn the handle and unlatch it, the windows dropped down as normal, but then when I went to push the button for the top to go down... nothing. :(

So then ... when I went to relatch the handle... it 'seals' to the top, ... appears completely latched... but I can tell it's not locking... (it doesn't 'sound' the same way) as it did before. Yet the top is meeting the car, and it appears completely locked... but still the indicator light continues to blink. Also baffled as why it wouldn't go down when it was apart from the car and the windows were down.

Any ideas??? What's broken exactly? How much we talking to repair? I'm scared. :(

·
Beetleman
430 Posts
It's probably the micro switch located in the header on the passenger side. If you have a small enough pinkie, you can actuate the switch by inserting your finger into the passenger locking slot. It's most likely that the switch is dirty. You can use a can of air and blow it out or use some electronic cleaner, (Radio Shack has it) and spray a liberal amount on the micro switch.
Relatch the top and unlatch it and try to put the top down again.
If it still does not operate, you'll have to pry up the plastic cover from the header and replace the micro switch. This is a DIY and not that difficult. The micro switch you'll need is:
1Y0 959 699 A $17.50

Hope this helps.:)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts