NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking all over google for a fix and have found nothing. I have two latches, the original and one from a junkyard. The hood shuts and will only go to the safety catch. I made sure the little rubber bumper things are screwed in all the way and the latch is as high as it can be. I have tried dropping it from 1'. I tried using equal amounts of pressure by closing it on the sides to shut it instead of only at the emblem. Both latches do the exact same thing. Its the one thing I cannot stand about my car. Thanks in advance!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've had this happen to me a couple of times. In my case it was the hood release lever inside the cabin by the pedals. It wasn't fully back to original position and wouldn't let the hood latch and lock down.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hmm, My latch inside the car to the hood is broken too, but I still have the handle attached to it. I just have to fiddle it around to make sure it is back in the right position and will latch again.
Dang. Hopefully someone who knows will pipe up!

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
I have the same problem. Put a bra on for a road trip and haven't been able to get the hood to latch since.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the same problem with my car, if I drop it to try and get it to shut it only goes to the safety catch, regardless of the handle position. I actually have to slam my hood closed. I feel terrible doing it, but my grandfather looked it over and said it wasn't hurting anything.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I used to use the "slam" technique, but read somewhere about a better way. With the hood in the safety catch place the palms of your hands on each edge of the hood about the level of the headlights. Give a sudden, sharp shove to both sides at the same time. It works pretty well for me and is a lot quieter and less dramatic.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
I have tried everything to no avail. I'm about at my wits end with this. Iggy's hood needs to latch now or I'm gonna lose my mind. Lol

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm going to bump this up because I still haven't found a fix. I have been on tons of VW sites looking for something I haven't tried but I can't find anything! :( It's really stressing me out! :(

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Adjusted my hood best I could today and it goes down a lot more but not enough. Hits the latch right in the middle. No tools or anything in the engine bay.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Take it to a body shop. They should not charge you more than 1 hour labor to fix it. An hour of body labor here in Texas is only $45.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm hoping that I just need to adjust my latch again, I was trying to today but the threads of the screw stripped and my bolt and nut substitute broke in half, will try tomorrow and if not it looks like I will have to take it to a body shop

·
Registered
7 Posts
Has anyone found out how to fix this problem? I have seen MANY people post about this issue and no answers?? I have a 1998 VW Beetle 2.0 Gas and just replaced the latch, but it still will not completely lock into position. I have tried to move the latch to different positions, still doesn't completely latch. Anyone find an answer??

Thanks...

Gene

·
Registered
14,086 Posts
I have not clue about the hood; most threads, mention replacing the latch (which you have already done); I wonder, if the cables stretch out and cause problems? I would check over the release lever in the car and the end of the cable; any damage or broken parts? The manual; does indicate, there is some adjustability to the latch but not much? :confused:

Here are the manual pages; in case you want to look over the assembly:

Volkswagen Workshop Manuals > Beetle L4-1.9L DSL Turbo (ALH) (1998) > Body and Frame > Doors, Hood and Trunk > Hood > Hood Latch > Component Information > Service and Repair

·
Registered
7 Posts
So, I finally got the hood to close completely!! I went into the car and pulled on the release lever a few times, then closed the hood with a little more force than I had used in the past and it finally latched. Off to the next project......:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Despite this post being 5 years old, I found it helpful. I thought I'd add that all I had to do was a combo of what is mentioned above. Push the little T shaped lever that you normally pull on from outside to finish "opening" the hood, back into place after opening. It resets the latch. I also did the palms near the headlight on hood slam, but I'm pretty sure all it took was pushing that T shaped pull, back into place so the actual latch resets. Worked for me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts