NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously, how long should it take a car to cool off? I arrived at my home at 5:30 in the afternoon, after doing some moderate driving, no highway driving. I just went out there now to check on something, (it's now 1:50 AM) and the whole engine is still pretty hot. I checked my oil, and it's good, so it's not like I was running a friction factory.

8 hours, and it's still hot. Doesn't that seem a little weird? It's parked in a garageby the way, so it's not like it's sitting in the sun. Weird, right?

The fans DO come on for about 45 seconds when I park, but then shut off. That's kind of useless if you ask me. What do you think?

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I'd say it is normal, especially if you live in a warmer climate and have been running the A/C. I think the car is designed that way with the covers above and below the engine. The exhaust emissions are much worse when the engine is cold so I think VW is trying to reduce the time that engines are run cold. Also, it is much better for the engine to start up when the oil is still warm so it can't hurt there either. Overall, I think it is a good thing if the engine is slow to cool off after driving.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts