NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 222 Posts

·
Just because!
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know, we finally sold the condo and bought a house. (See details here)

We moved into the house last wednesday, Nov 15th. Tonight, the official transformation began with the painting of the fireplace wall, followed closely by the kitchen. At this point it's only primer, but it's still a start. (BTW, the ceiling at the top of the fireplace is 9 feet tall, and that is the short side of the room! The higher end is 10 1/2 feet!) :cool:

We have already purchased a new chair for the living room, 5 sets of curtains, and a new bed frame and side tables for the bedroom. (Let's just say it was an expensive Ikea trip!) ;) And today we picked up 2 more chairs, and a convection microwave. :goodjob:

I'll post pics of the progress as they happen. (That way you all can living vicariously through us, and not have to clean up the messes!) :lol:

Keep in mind that the new carpet has NOT been installed yet!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,751 Posts
I am looking forward to the GTG you are gonna have...... :D

Congratulations! :clap:

·
Just because!
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PhoenixRising said:
I hope your house is a better deal then mine was. And I hope you beat me to selling your condo. Mine? On the market for over a year now.

Ouch! Our condo was sold within 3 months. :) And our house appraised for quite a bit more than we paid for it. :) :)

I got started on the wallpaper removal in the dining room, while the wife primered the kitchen. Weeeeeee!:D

Unfortunately there is a heck of a lot more work under the wallpaper that I removed. :( :(

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,751 Posts
:wink: I'm liking that orange. Did we inspire you? :lol:

Attachments

·
I bleed Burnt Orange!
687 Posts
My wife just painted our kitchen and living room that color.

Wierd.

We are looking for a complementary color to do the dining room and front entry way in.

·
Premium Member
11,013 Posts
So far so good :goodjob: Spray the wallpaper glue with a mix of warm water and fabric softener (I use Downy). It'll come right off with a putty knife.

·
Just because!
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is an before and after pic of the front of the house. You should be able to see trees and bushes gone. :D I haven't been able to get time to get the other 4 stumps yet. Soon though.

Attachments

·
manufactured by greys
466 Posts
Thank's for the wallpaper tip, Ellen. I am in the process of romoving some very hideuos wallpaper from my master bathroom. I had insomnia one night and started tearing it down after looking at it at 3am. :rolleyes:

I am so happy for you, jdesigns! The house is a gem, and I am sure you are going to have fun making it your own.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Justin -

I'm guessing there were no hardwood floors under the carpet in the living room? I look at those pictures and keep invisioning hardwood floors, warm colors and rugs.

·
Banned
3,877 Posts
Man I have been jonesing waiting for these pics, Glad to see your in and started working on it. Keep up the good work.:cool: :thup:

·
Super Moderator
14,751 Posts
The front looks great, all opened up! Keep 'em coming! :bigthumb:

·
2,646 Posts
PhoenixRising said:
I hope your house is a better deal then mine was. And I hope you beat me to selling your condo. Mine? On the market for over a year now.
:D

Part of the reason I am jobless is due to the bath my former employer is likely to take in the FL real estate market--when things go up in a hurry because of mega demand they can also head the other way very quickly--it might be best to stay where you are, sit out the market a few years--the up cycle will come back eventually.

·
Just because!
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This afternoon I got back up on the roof and cut as many branches as I could reach on the trees that overhung the roof. I now have a pile of debris that rivals the bushes and trees that I cut down from in front of the house. (I need a chipper now!) After cutting as many branches as I could, the "pop-top" section of roof is more visible. Maybe tomorrow I'll climb back up there to shoot a few pics. :)

I also attacked the ivy and blackberry bushes with my new friend, the 22" Machete! Unfortunately, those pesky blackberry bushes will be back with a vengeance next spring. :(

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
oh, i've been waiting for this thread! awesome work justin! you guys move fast! i feel like my home improvements have been slowly crawling along...

:cartman: waiting for more pics!

1 - 20 of 222 Posts