NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Beetle Cup racer
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the I mac G5 shuts down itself randomly, so its service time! right now I am on the Wintel machine, but I hate Windows...

Hope my G5 gets serviced ASAP, sinc eal my pics and files are in there...

have you had a dead MAC? I have had like 15 macs in 20 years and this is the first to die...:mad:

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
My powerbook does random shutdowns too, so does my iPod

·
Super Moderator
1,138 Posts
beej said:
My powerbook does random shutdowns too, so does my iPod
Those make a bit more sense, being battery powered. I've never had a Mac just shutdown on me without some kind of power loss -- and I've definitely never had it fail to boot up again.

Good news is, it definitely sounds like a power supply problem. If that's the case, all your files should be in tact.

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
Sorry to hear it, man. :( My iMac G5's been a champ in the past 10 months I've had it (and my Powerbook the past 7).

Didn't they have a recall (of sorts) on the power supplies, or was that for video system?

-Des

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Jeff, both of mine shut off when plugged into other power sources....

·
pixel pusher
1,059 Posts
Beej, I've never heard of a mac suffering random shutdowns (apart from the afore mentioned G5 PS problems), not to say your's doesn't do it - but I wouldn't put up with it.

Do you have any other items on your network that do it? is it always in the same house/room? The reason I ask is my PC will restart itself if theres a power fluctuation so I'm wondering if it's your power to your house.

I've heard of G5 iMacs having power supply issues before though! that's why I got my mum the last of the G4 iMacs rather than the new one.

Cheers, paul

·
Registered
867 Posts
If it is just going off, it it probably the power supply. We have one that started doing that, and after a while it would not turn on at all. Apple sent us a logic board even though I told them it was the PS. The logic board didn't help, so I had them send out a tech(much higher cost to them than them sending me a PS). The tech showed up and replaced the logic board again, still had dead G5iMac. Then he put in a PS and that got it running again. These G5iMacs run really hot like all previous iMacs and tend to burn themselves up. I like my G5 tower, it has massive fans and stays cool.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Some of the iMac G5's do have power suply problems that cause the system to shut down randomly. Repair should be covered under warranty, in fact I believe Apple may have extended the warranty coverage on these units. Check the iMac G5 support forums at Apple.com for more info:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]@.689ae1a1

-dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts