NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey!

So I'm three days into owning my new used 2005 NBC Turbo. I love it, it's zippy and fun. There is one thing driving me a little bonkers. Sometimes when I'm driving there is some sort of annoying squeaking. It seems to happen when the road is rough or I hit a bump. It sounds like it's coming from somewhere under the dash on the drivers side but it's hard for me to tell exactly where. It sort of sounds like an tennis shoe squeaking on a basketball court.

Anyone have any idea what this might be? I would love to make it go away.

Let me know and thanks!

Jon

·
5/23/10 <3
10,914 Posts
I know I had a squeaky passenger seat.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks taanote -

i've done some google searches and it definitely seems like that could be the problem. it looks like i have to be able to lift the car to lube these? if i don't have the ability to do that what is the best and most inexpensive way to get this done? dealer? mechanic?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Glad I can help. :)

I suggest replacing them with a new pair.
Putting grease will quiet them down for a few thousand miles.
The parts are inexpensive, around $10-15 each, and easy to replace.
You need to lift the car in order to replace them.
Either dealer or local mechanic would be able to do the job in maybe 20-30 minutes.
Meanwhile you can use liquid dish-soap to keep them quiet for a few days before getting the permanent fix. The issue is not dangerous, it's just annoying.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
It was sort of a rattle and a squeak on mine...maybe more rattle.

At any rate, if you put the top down and don't hear it, then it might be the rubber bushings that would fix it.

If you still hear it with the top down, then the rubber bushings won't help.
Perfect way to diagnose it! No, not making fun, really! ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i haven't had a chance to look at the front sway bar bushings yet but it almost sounds like the squeaking comes from right under the drivers side dash somewhere.

would it make sense for it to be the front sway bar bushings if that were the case? it's more like i hear it inside the car than coming from in the window. if it's the bar bushings would it sound like it's in the car or farther away?

it happens most often when i hit rough road or a bump. but it doesn't happen every time that happens. i'm so confused but i gotta figure this out or i'll go nuts. i love EVERYTHING about my new car but this...

i don't want to be a crazy person but i gotta fix it.

i could record audio of it with my phone if that would help anyone...

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
i haven't had a chance to look at the front sway bar bushings yet but it almost sounds like the squeaking comes from right under the drivers side dash somewhere.

would it make sense for it to be the front sway bar bushings if that were the case? it's more like i hear it inside the car than coming from in the window. if it's the bar bushings would it sound like it's in the car or farther away?

it happens most often when i hit rough road or a bump. but it doesn't happen every time that happens. i'm so confused but i gotta figure this out or i'll go nuts. i love EVERYTHING about my new car but this...

i don't want to be a crazy person but i gotta fix it.

i could record audio of it with my phone if that would help anyone...
As suggested, drop the top and see if it goes away. :rolleyes: If not, you might get a better feel for where it is coming from when the sound isn't bouncing around in the cabin. ;)

M.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
first off i want to say i'm LOVING this site. people have been so helpful! so i just did a test. i drove through a gravel alley with the top up and had the squeak. then i drove through topless (ooo la la) and there was no squeak. :) now that i knew where to put my ear it definitely sounds like it's coming from the top of the windshield. both of my pegs have a rubber thing on them but they look worn and curved at one end so i'm going to order two new ones and see if it works.

i'll let you know how it goes and seriously - thanks to all who reply to this stuff. it's so helpful!

i still need a name for my new beetle also!

jon

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
howdy!

so i just wanted to follow up on my squeak.

after the awesome help from here i got some silicone spray and ordered the 2 dollar rubber nubs.

i am now squeak and rattle free!

thanks so much.

i'm so happy!

woot!

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts