NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
IMI
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Friends,

I have attached a Youtube video link of the problem that i am facing on my beetle. For once i am really not able to explain.
In this video please ignore the sound in the background, its a Diesel Generator working in my neighbors yard.

I have a 2000 NB Petrol Engine, with Automatic Transmission. The video will show you the problem I am facing, please have a look and do give me your valuable suggestions. I have added the description in the video as well. Cheers

Here is the link
2000 VW New Beetle - Startup Issue - YouTube

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Need more info...

Here is what I'm seeing and some questions,

Observations:
  • Airbag System warning light illuminated - there is a fault in the ABS system
  • ASR warning light illuminated- either the system is switched off manually or the system is malfunctioning. Since the ASR operates together with the ABS, the ASR warning light will also come on if a fault should occur in the ABS
  • ABS System warning light illuminated - ABS system is not working properly, this would explain the ASR warning light
  • Brake warning light illuminated - this also indicates a malfunction in the brake system, when on in conjunction with the ABS System warning light, there is potential for rear brake lock up. I can't explain the flashing, unless on this Euro model this is how the E brake being set is indicated, or it may indicate possible low fluid.
Questions:
  1. Notice the engine reving, assume that to be the operator
  2. Assume the chime to be either the door ajar, or the door ajar with the key in the ignition.
  3. Do you have the ebrake set during part of the video, and then have it released?
  4. Shut downs - are these stalls or the ignition being turned off?
  5. The video is nice, but what are your questions?
  6. Have you pulled the stored codes? What are they?
MORAV

·
IMI
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Morave ! Superb Observation !

Let me answer your questions.

1. Airbag System light - Yes i found out that to be some wiring problem in the passenger seat. I will get that sorted out.
2. ARS / ESP & ABS light comes on solid, when I turn the ignition on. If these 2 lamps turn on as soon as i insert the key, the car will crank and not start. The ASR has not been manually switched off.
3. ABS Light solid on, these 2 lights come solid on, only at times. If i switch off the car, pull out the positive terminal cable on the car, these 2 warning lights dont come on. If these warnings dont come up, the car runs perfectly fine. The problem comes only when i need to switch off the car and turn it on again.
4. The brakes work super perfect, once the car is running perfect, I see no problem with the brakes, I have also new brake pads, smooth rotors, perfect ABS Sensors, Replaced Brake Oil and all seem good.
5. In the Video the Hand Brake was always pulled up. Even after releasing the brake the Brake Light was flashing.

Questions (My Answers)

1. The sound in the video is actually from a generator outside my neighbor hood. I know the sound could make my car sound like a diesel engine.

2. The Chime is door Ajar indeed with the key in ignition.
3. The ebrake was always set during the video and i did release it once in between.
4. The engine's idle is slightly low, you can feel stalling vibrations. In the video I shut it down most of the time.
5. My Questions are:-

A. Why does the ESP / ABS Light still come on solid with Brake Light Flashing - When the ABS system is fine, the brakes works. WHat does the flashing Brake Light indicate ? (Is it due to Low Voltage? Faulty Alternator ? Or Battery ?)

B. Why do these problems come off and on at their intervals. They are not frequent errors. But i am scared to drive since i don't want the car to stop on the highway.

6. The car shows no codes or error's what so ever.

I will try to make a better video in the Day time, as I think the night version gives room for some confusion.

Thanks allot once again.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I've pulled my info from a North American OM, and an '01 at that, as I don't currently have an '00. Even in this OM (US & Canada) there are subtle differences between what the warning lights indicate (I've quoted the Canadian). Your's is a NB built for a totally different market and I would expect even more subtle differences. Have a good read through of Booklet 3.1 as regards the warning lights. You might find some answers. The flashing brake light should indicate something, I can't imagine this light would flash unless it was designed into the warning system. I do suspect you may have some brake issues (probably ABS related), however. It could be something though as simple as a bad ground someplace (a bad ground can cause electronics to do all kinds of wierd things). I don't think another video is necessary.

Perhaps another Orger will come onto your thread who has experienced something similar to what is going on with yours.

I'm assuming you are trying to pull stored codes with a Vag device and not an SAE type reader, which will not necessarily pull all codes and I consider not dependable for this purpose. I don't understand the lack of codes, something should be coming up.

M.

·
IMI
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Morav,

I don't have any manuals for my beetle, I am located in Doha, Qatar in the Middle East so i assume this beetle is designed for the Middle east specs, Beetle is not a very common car here, just a few around the place. I guess you are right about the ground wires. I will soon inspect the car power terminals and see what could the problem be.

What is strange is that the dash indicators, go dim and bright on their own when you just turn the ignition on. If the lights are dim, the vehicle will crank and not start, if the lights are bright the vehicle will start. Probably it could be the Negative power wires that's either corroded to loose some where.

Let me do this soon and i will get back. Could you advise me where can i locate the negative terminals are joined on the body. I guess the positive terminal is direct on the Alternator and from there to the fuse box on top of the battery.

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
There are multiple ground locations all around the body. I'll have to scan and put up a diagram showing all the locations. Just to rule out a problem, have a look at the fuse/fusible link box on top of the battery, and see if there is any indication of any melting. This seems to be a common problem with the earlier NBs. Fuse block meltdown, and the subsequent source of many electrical related problems.

M.

·
IMI
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There are multiple ground locations all around the body. I'll have to scan and put up a diagram showing all the locations. Just to rule out a problem, have a look at the fuse/fusible link box on top of the battery, and see if there is any indication of any melting. This seems to be a common problem with the earlier NBs. Fuse block meltdown, and the subsequent source of many electrical related problems.

M.
All the fuses on the Top Fuse Block are perfectly fine, no sign of meltdown or any over heating. All the wires are tight and well secure and connected. I dont see any physical damage to them. The fuses are all in good condition as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
your alternator is not charging properly. I had the dimming and undimming problem in a mitsubishi. and your abs and brake lite mean that you anti lock system has somehow messed up. airbag is probably the wires under one of your seats, my abs break and airbag lights are all on. ive had it scanned with a vagcom and its not all a threat as long as i dont mind regular breaks and no airbags. if you want to know exactly what it is youll have to get it scanned with a vagcom. good luck, idk what the ! in a circle means

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
your alternator is not charging properly. I had the dimming and undimming problem in a mitsubishi. and your abs and brake lite mean that you anti lock system has somehow messed up. airbag is probably the wires under one of your seats, my abs break and airbag lights are all on. ive had it scanned with a vagcom and its not all a threat as long as i dont mind regular breaks and no airbags. if you want to know exactly what it is youll have to get it scanned with a vagcom. good luck, idk what the ! in a circle means
Charging System - Basic Checks
http://newbeetle.org/forums/2-0-liter-gas/51209-sorry-but-another-brake-light-beeping.html#post752649

M.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts