NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Mr. Retro
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't see this forum before posting in the other one. :)

"Bullitt" is a 1973 Type 143 Karmann Ghia coupe, 1600cc dual-port flat-4, 4-speed stick, Sambesi Green on Leather Beige, with option M 002 U.S.-Equipment Group, which is M 027 Exhaust Fumes Regulations, M 054 Lockable Glove Box, and M 128 White wall tires (the only thing she's missing - and yeah, I'll probably get those eventually).

She was built on April 9, 1973, and left the factory on April 10, 1973. Her destination port was San Francisco, and she spent most of her life in California. As far as I can tell, the second owner bought her from the first in CA and used her for a college car. Upon finishing college, he moved to Texas, married, and later on down the line sold her to me so he could have another car that could hold a baby seat. I've had her since 2000.

The only mods are a modest four-speaker Pioneer sound system, and the gorgeous wood slat decklid rack, hand-made by a gent in Washington State (who I believe no longer makes VW racks). Don't want to go too crazy on a car this clean and original! :)

·
Premium Member
4,315 Posts
Sweet Ghia. I had a 1978 Saab 99GL in that color and loved it.

Couple questions if you don't mind.

1) How does the interior room compare to the Type-1? I am 6'5" and even though I have enough head room I had to get a smaller steering wheel (to clear my thighs) and move the seat back an additional 3 inches (to clear my legs).

2) I don't really have a second question... heheheh :lol:

I have never been in a Ghia and would love to have the op someday, especially if its in one as hot as yours. :bigthumb:

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
Sweet Ghia. I'd get one, but the repair parts (body wise) cost a hell of alot more than the Beetles. Is the engine all stock?

1) How does the interior room compare to the Type-1? I am 6'5" and even though I have enough head room I had to get a smaller steering wheel (to clear my thighs) and move the seat back an additional 3 inches (to clear my legs).
A Ghia is a Type-1.

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
One of our friends has what we call the SSG (Super **** Ghia), very fast. It has about the same leg room as my bug.

·
Super Moderator
14,766 Posts
That is a beautiful car! Congratulations on aquiring your Karmann Ghia. Magnificant~! :clap:

·
Mr. Retro
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fowvay said:
Sweet Ghia. I had a 1978 Saab 99GL in that color and loved it.

Couple questions if you don't mind.

2) I don't really have a second question... heheheh :lol:

I have never been in a Ghia and would love to have the op someday, especially if its in one as hot as yours. :bigthumb:
I'm 6'3", and I fit fine in the Ghia. I have pretty good headroom. The only thing lacking a bit is the legroom - it's okay, but on longer trips I wish I had a little more. Passenger legroom is fine - it's mainly the pedal assembly that cuts into the driver's. If you extend the seat rails, that'd probably take care of the legroom thing.

·
Mr. Retro
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
73standard said:
Sweet Ghia. I'd get one, but the repair parts (body wise) cost a hell of alot more than the Beetles. Is the engine all stock?

A Ghia is a Type-1.
Yeah, motor is an all-stock 1600cc dual port, cranking out a thundering 57 bhp. :D

·
Premium Member
611 Posts
Your car is beautiful. I drove an exact replica of it (without the luggage rack) back and forth to college for 4 years. Her name was Gretchen. I am looking for another one now to restore.

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
18,311 Posts
That is one beautiful Ghia! My fave color too! :D

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Ghias get in your blood

I had three Ghias -- a '67, a '71 and a '68. The last one was my son's first car, so I guess it wasn't "mine", though I had a really hard time letting go of it emotionally.

I am 6'4" and I had to tilt my head a little so as not to put a big dent in the headliner. I guess 6'3" is the limit. Don't even try it if you're 6'5". The old Bug has plenty of headroom (remember the Wilt Chamberlain ad?), but the Ghia was built to be sporty, so headroom is sacrificed.

When I hit the lottery, the second thing I'm going to do is buy a Boxster and have an aluminum Ghia body built for it. Dead stock, except for the sound system and the running gear. :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts