NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Focus twice, shoot once
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of my favorite things, people and places.

First of all, must confess I am an Infrared Film Junkie.

These first photos were shot with a Pentax K1000 35mm camera, Kodak HIE B&W Infrared film, #25 Red Teffin filter. ISO 400, [email protected] - f/8. I developed/printed/toned and-or hand tinted all in the comfy of my home darkroom (Secret Lab)

I'm down to 36 exp a month now, :)

Attachments

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
very cool photos! i've always loved infrared photos, though i've never taken any myself. i have a digi cam...wonder if there's a filter for that in photoshop or something.

GREAT photos! thanks for sharing!

·
Focus twice, shoot once
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
callisto9 said:
very cool photos! i've always loved infrared photos, though i've never taken any myself. i have a digi cam...wonder if there's a filter for that in photoshop or something.

GREAT photos! thanks for sharing!
Thanx Callisto, You should try it sometime. Most professional photo stores will have it developed for you. I don't have a clue about how to do it with a digital camera. Thats a question for Justin, I never touch the stuff. :)
If you want to give it a go, I'll be happy to share the details. Look at it as a challenge.
Best 2U, Gail

·
Focus twice, shoot once
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PhoenixRising said:
You are one of the best artists the ORG has. Simply stunning.
Oh gorsh, gee wiz thanx. I blush. I'll post some of my black & white and color pix soon. This is just the tip of the iceberg. I have decades of photos so I'll pace myself.
Best 2U 2, Gail

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
Shutterbug said:
Oh gorsh, gee wiz thanx. I blush. I'll post some of my black & white and color pix soon. This is just the tip of the iceberg. I have decades of photos so I'll pace myself.
Best 2U 2, Gail
:D please DO post your pics! i love seeing them. i used one of your photos is another thread as an example of something i am trying to do with a digi cam, hope you don't mind. i am a novice, at best, but want to take better photos!

·
Focus twice, shoot once
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Portraits

I'll get to color soon. I love B&W, my fav:)

Attachments

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
once again, great photos! i WISH i could take pictures like that. if i remember correctly, you don't use a digital camera. :)

·
Focus twice, shoot once
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
PhoenixRising said:
Who is singing there? And great shots! Wow!
Hi ya, Thats Chris Martin of Coldplay. They were here in Birmingham doing their last tour for Parachutes. This was shot with a 70-300 Sigma zoom, pushed 1 stop, thus the grainy....but I like grainy.

I love shooting concerts:)

·
Focus twice, shoot once
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
callisto9 said:
once again, great photos! i WISH i could take pictures like that. if i remember correctly, you don't use a digital camera. :)
Thanx, so much for the kudos. You are correct. I only shoot film. Color I take to a lab but I develop my own B&W and Infrared.

I recommend everyone who is seriously into photography, or just loves it, to take a good old fashioned class which includes a darkroom work.

You never know what it could lead to.

·
Focus twice, shoot once
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
silverspeedbuggy said:
WOW! Great photos!

I picked up a 60's era Yashica camera at a garage sale for $10 a few years ago and it takes the most incredible photos. The lens is spectacular! I may have to try some infared film now!
Do it, you'll amaze yourself. You have the perfect camera for it. You could drive a a truck over an old camera like that and not phase it. No plastic there.
The newer cameras have sensors which "read" the film and fog the top and bottom of every frame. This is HIGHLY sensitive film.

Load it, and unload it in a changing bag. NEVER let light hit the actual roll of film. Or do it in a closet in a dungeon.

Just get a #25 Red Teffin filter that will fit the lens(or the equivalent there of), Kodak HIE film, it only comes in 36 exp. and your set.

Here are a few sites ti check out:
http://www.atsf.co.uk/ilight/index.html
http://www.gallerysyme.com/
Google "Infrared Photography" and have at it.

This is a Yahoo Group I'm in. Lots of info to be had there....I got the cover for the month:)
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/theinfraredphotographyzone/

Let me know if you get a roll loaded. I'd love to be of help.
Gail

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
Shutterbug said:
Thanx, so much for the kudos. You are correct. I only shoot film. Color I take to a lab but I develop my own B&W and Infrared.

I recommend everyone who is seriously into photography, or just loves it, to take a good old fashioned class which includes a darkroom work.

You never know what it could lead to.
i took a photography class in high school, and we did all the loading in the dark room, developing, the whole gamut. it was great. i think the reason i am so into digital is my love of computers. i love that there's no waste with digital cameras. don't get me wrong, i still think a good SLR beats a digital camera, but for me, i love all things digital.

i have an old minolta from the 70s, but it's been so long since i loaded it with film. if i remember correctly, shutter speed 1/60 doesn't work! :p

·
Focus twice, shoot once
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
These are random pix that happen to be the right size to load at the moment. I'm doing this quickly. We are getting stout winds and I've lost power and was bumped offline once. I'll get the hang of resizing soon.
Oh, one is a graphite portrait of Emma Linder, a great historian from my town that I was comissioned to do. Not the best copy, but I'll work on my uploading skills.
G
...oops...I loaded the IR shot of the 3 swans twice. My bad. ?is there a way to delete just one pix?

PS: I find the Zoo depressing. Faces don't lie.

Attachments

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
Shutterbug said:
These are random pix that happen to be the right size to load at the moment. I'm doing this quickly. We are getting stout winds and I've lost power and was bumped offline once. I'll get the hang of resizing soon.
Oh, one is a graphite portrait of Emma Linder, a great historian from my town that I was comissioned to do. Not the best copy, but I'll work on my uploading skills.
G
...oops...I loaded the IR shot of the 3 swans twice. My bad. ?is there a way to delete just one pix?

PS: I find the Zoo depressing. Faces don't lie.
the zoo can be depressing, agreed.

yes, you can delete just one photo, but it looks like you've figured that out already.

thanks again for sharing. amazing photos. :D

·
Retro/Techno
1,118 Posts
Shutterbug said:
Do it, you'll amaze yourself. You have the perfect camera for it. You could drive a a truck over an old camera like that and not phase it. No plastic there.
The newer cameras have sensors which "read" the film and fog the top and bottom of every frame. This is HIGHLY sensitive film.

Load it, and unload it in a changing bag. NEVER let light hit the actual roll of film. Or do it in a closet in a dungeon.

Just get a #25 Red Teffin filter that will fit the lens(or the equivalent there of), Kodak HIE film, it only comes in 36 exp. and your set.

Here are a few sites ti check out:
http://www.atsf.co.uk/ilight/index.html
http://www.gallerysyme.com/
Google "Infrared Photography" and have at it.

This is a Yahoo Group I'm in. Lots of info to be had there....I got the cover for the month:)
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/theinfraredphotographyzone/

Let me know if you get a roll loaded. I'd love to be of help.
Gail
Thanks! If I ever get off my lazy butt I'll scan the pics I took in Greece with the Yashica. Friends have told me to have prints made and sell them at the local Greek Festival next summer. Everyone tells me they look like postcard photos. They truly are my best souvenirs from the trip (I took 13 rolls of shots!).

I took a basic photography class in high school, so I'm familiar with developing, but what is the real cost for setting up a dark room in your own home? It's gotta be pricey!

1 - 20 of 118 Posts