NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
<--Not a self portrait.
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to upgrade the audio in my 2001 NB GLX Sport. It has the Monsoon system, but I bought it with an aftermarket Pioneer DEH-P6400 headunit. Since I am on a limited budget, I would like to keep the Monsoon amp and replace the stock speakers. I can pick up a pair of 6.5" Jensen speakers on the cheap (probably free). I was thinking about using these in the back doors, since I know that the rear speakers are only there for "fill". For the front speakers, I was thinking about a 3-way component system, but I can not find any that fit my budget (about $200). Does anyone have any suggestions for 3-way component system that is relatively inexpensive? For some bass, I was looking at the Infinity BassLink, because it is inexpensive and small enough to keep the hatch useable.

About my music tastes, I usually listen to rock music, but I do occasionally listen to rap. However, I am more interested in having my music sound good than having my ear drums blown out. If anyone has suggestions about my set-up, I would be glad to hear them. I won't be doing any real work to the stereo for a few months, but I thought it would be a good idea to start my research and prep work now.

Thanks!:)

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
sb_beetle said:
Maybe Steinola has some suggestions.
LOL! Nope... I'm a purist... I prefer keeping my NB's sound system stock... so I'm not the one to ask ;)

I'm sure someone others will have some input, though.

·
<--Not a self portrait.
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you both for your quick replies. I found a 3-way component system that is close to my budget. It is the Audiobahn ABC6003Q. Has anyone used or heard these speakers? I am still very open to suggestions, especially if you think I am barking up the wrong tree.

Thanks!:)

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
I run audiobahn speakers. AT69 tweeters, AMD60 woofers, and ABF26's in the rear (discontinued line) And theyre run by an audiobahn A4601Q (105x2 RMS front at 2 ohms and 75x2 RMS at 4 ohms in rear).

The ABC6000 line is thier top of the line component system, and you probably will love them.. Although the AB midrange is 4" and I htink the monsoon mid is a 3.5".

Also, i'm worried a bit about the amount of power the monsoon amp puts out, AB speakers LOVE all the watts you can give em.. I would definaltey try to keep the vw crossovers intact and ditch the AB ones, i cant seem to keep any audiobahn crossovers from burning up (maybe i shouldn't be overpowering the speakers, or playing em as loud as i do) but yeah, i've melted, smoked up and toasted a few audiobahn crossovers.

I would not reccoment adding aftermerlety woofers without first adding a sub. The way the little rubber baffle in between the factory speaker and the panels in the door and rear panel fit "makes the box" sort to say. So if you dont have a good seal between the rubber bafflew and hte speaker, you wont get that much bass.

Hope I've helped out a bit, i am sorta an Audiobahn geek. (check out my system pics).

·
Registered
98 Posts
another option maybe...?

I, like you, am very budget minded when it comes to stereo stuff. I have built several audio systems for my self and for friends and what I would suggest is putting together a component set piece by piece (especially since you want to keep using the monsoon amp and x-over). Places like Parts Express www.partsexpress.com offer all the pieces necessary to put together a good 2 or 3 way system for a pretty low price.

As a shameless plug though I will say that the Dayton audio line that they sell has some GREAT deals for very high quality audio products. I had two of their 10" Quatro subs in my previous car and I recently finished putting 4 10" Quatros in my buddy's Tercel (yeah...4 10's in a Tercel :D ). Here is a link to the Dayton stuff http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&DID=7&WebPage_ID=114
There products aren't really flashy or anything but they have it where it counts when it comes to performance. The Quatro subs even come with a 5 YEAR FACTORY WARRANTY!!!

If it weren't for my Blaupunkt sponsorship I would be using Dayton speakers for the audio system in my Bug.

Well...there's my .02

Have fun and post pics with whatever you decide to do!

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you're on a budget, I'd do things a little differently. I would buy a decent 4 channel amp, bridge the rear channels and run a good quality 12" sub. I would buy a nice 2 way component and run 6.5's in the stock door location and put the tweeters in the factory A pillar locations. I think you'd be quite satisfied with the results. As for the sub, I highly recommend a Boston Acoustic, they sound great and works well in a small enclosure. As for the components, I'd look at Bostons, Alpine, MTX. Although i never used the autobhaun line before, I don't have too much faith in it being anything good. Stick with entry level brand name stuff and don't get buy anything that is too powerful. Great sound can be had at a budget.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts