NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Driver Side rear window moves up and down by itself while I'm holding the window switch.

Normally, to close the windows, I lift and hold the 'All Window' switch. Once all windows stop moving I release the swithc (I do this by listening :)).

Well today, after all the windows have stopped, the driver side rear window immediately went down, by itself, my finger was still on the switch. It kept going up down up down by itself, I was like where's that noise coming from :confused:. When I see its the driver side rear window, I released the switch, it stopped.

So I pull the 'Rear Window' switch, it does it again, going up down up down.

This happend twice today 6 hrs apart, the only fixes were 1. as the window is moving up I release the switch to pause, and pull the switch again to finishing closing, the window stops at the top position. 2. use the key in the keyhole outside of the car.

FWIW during the up and down sequence, the window lowers about 80% before going back up, it doesn't fully lower into the body :confused:. Also this happend after I put the top up. I tried removing and putting back the ignition key, didn't help.

Has anyone experience this?

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Sounds as if the pinch protection sensor may be the cause, esp since it doesn't do it with key operation.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bad switch?
Thanks, at first I thought it could be the switch pack however it happens with both the 'all window' and 'driver rear' window swithes, they both can't go bad at the same time :confused:.

Sounds as if the pinch protection sensor may be the cause, esp since it doesn't do it with key operation.
Thx, I'll try it with the top down, FWIW the windows fully closed when I'm outside the car (key in door method) also if i let go the switch once on the way up to pause, the continuation will bring the window up fully and stop. I'll need to test out all scenerios to pinpoint the cause, tho I swear all this was happening when the driver door was opened.

There've been a few times when the door windows auto drop down but not raise up when the door is shut (leaving a gap), but turning the key to accessories fixes that, IMO the windows get confused :p by a series of complex sequences of door openings and closings, even i can't pinpoint the cause.

oh well if I can replicate this problem, it's off to the dealer while it's still warranteed. I've apparently caught the 'window regulator' gremlin :mad::D

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
If it's related to the pinch protection it won't matter if the top is open or closed. I don't believe the top operation signals anything to the windows. If it's not that, it is a problem in the door control module. Check your Owner's Manual for the window reset, as, as you say, the system may be confused. I don't have your manual in .pdf, but I can dig it out if need be.

M.

·
HP Technician
449 Posts
If the switches are wired like my old Ford one faulty switch can make the others flaky as well.

I would try unplugging a switch all together and see if the others operate as they should but then again if it is wired like my Ford the other switches will not work when the master driver door switch is unplugged.

Since it only happens when your touching a switch and not on its own and works as it should using the key - I still think it's a flaky switch which can make the other switches flaky as well.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks, that does make sense. I'll try to pin down the cause but since it's under warranty, I'm not going to mess with it too much, they might blame me for causing the problem :cuss:.

edit: went out to check on the window, everything normal... :gotme:

edit 2: a week later the problem is MIA, everything back to normal. I swear the windows have a mind of their own but after the car sits overnight or a few hours everything resets?!? or I could be wrong

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Thanks, that does make sense. I'll try to pin down the cause but since it's under warranty, I'm not going to mess with it too much, they might blame me for causing the problem :cuss:.
I think I would simply let the warranty take care of it. You have too nice a car, and the door panels and related parts are too cheaply made to risk breaking something and you having to take it in the shorts. You're going to end up there anyway. Do get a full report of cause and resolve, and post it up, for those less fortunate than to have an active warranty! :)

M.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts