NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I am the proud owner of my first Beetle (an '01 called Flash), and I have been having a problem with the reverse since day 4.

I was parallel parking and when I shifted into reverse and stepped on the gas (it's an automatic, btw) nothing happened for the first few seconds and then it slammed into reverse. At the same time my check engine light came on. Ever since then, my reverse either takes a really long time to "kick in," or sometimes it doesn't "kick in" at all - it's just like being in neutral.

I took it to my old faithful VW mechanic who didn't find any transmission codes and recommended that because of the milage (120,000 km) that I should have the transmission fluid changed at VW dealership because they would have the appropriate tools. Even though I have read other threads and have seen that the lifetime transmission fluid doesn't really last a lifetime - the local VW dealership made me feel like an idiot for even requesting that it be changed. So I brought it in, they inspected it and reset the throttle and told me it would be fine.

It's not. Reverse is still acting up half of the time, and today my check engine light came on again.

By the way - I am also waiting to have my catalytic converter replaced - could this be what is triggering the light to come on?

Please help!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish it were that easy. There are only 2 VW dealerships here and I have vowed to never go to the other one again after being charged more than was agreed on and given headache after headache while they repaired my old Jetta. I actually drove further away just to get to this new place. The service guy there actually asked me if I had checked the dipstick for the transmission fluid - I said, uh...no, there isn't one - and he said "that's because it's a sealed unit...(you don't need to change it)." Why ask me the question then, ya jerk!

But thanks, Fowvay! I appreciate your response.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts