VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure why, but for a long while now my speedometer will only work correctly up to 60mph. I can go 30, it shows 30. I can go 40, it shows 40, but anything above 60mph and it will just kind of move back and forth at 60mph.

Sometimes if I haven't driven it in a little while, it will work correctly up to 70mph or so, but then it just goes back to peaking at 60mph.

Anybody have any idea why? Is there some kind of speed sensor that I might need to replace?

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
Do you have a auto or stick? I would start; by scanning the car with a vw compatible scan tool and doing output tests on the gauges (it will run a full sweep of the gauge). We have seen quite a few failures on the speedo clusters; the stepper motors die or onboard surface mount components fail. On many of the early models; VW is not selling them anymore they are "NLA", no longer available. Some people; have purchased used or new stepper motors for the failed gauge, taken the speedo apart and replaced them with good results. The other option; is to have the speedo cluster rebuilt. Check out "bba reman" on ebay; they offer a lifetime warranty.

https://www.google.com/search?q=eba...9i57j69i64.14302j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

If you have a scan tool; that shows live data, you might see what the computer sensor, "sees" as being the correct mph.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts