NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I looked around on the new and old forums on how to change my starter....
My problem was when I turn the key to start the car, It would turn over and turn over but not fire up and when it was cold outside the problem would be worse...
After this turning and no start a loud rapid clicking would come from under the hood...
This all led me to believe it was the starter.
WEll i removed the air box, the batterey and the battery holding plate.
I have located the starter and moved the wires away from the top of the starter.
Now all I have left is to remove the two bolts that are holding it on.
They are 2 18mm bolts, and I cannot get them to budge.
Has anyone else here had this problem?
or can anyone offer any tips or anything on chaneging the starter?
Thanks

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
I don't think it is the starter that is the problem. You described the classic failing battery.
Getting those bolts out is a real pain in the knuckles. A long extension over the breaker bar is about the best way to get leverage on those bolts. Also, it is easier from under the car.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
just remember...."Lefty loosey...righty tighty"...:D

Yeah, sounds like you have the classic dead battery or not enough juice in it to start....I would replace the battery first.

My starter is funny...and will probably need replacing here come spring...I start the car, and you hear "Zzzzzzzzzzzzp" after the car starts....as if the starter hyper turns after the car starts...a bendix spring problem probably....Not gonna worry about it till spring.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok well i changed my starter no prob, get back in the car and it still wont start,,,, just a very loud rapid clicking from under the hood and what sounds like from under the dash to?
so i went and got a new battery and still no luck just the same rapid clicking, slowing down in pace the longer you let it click...
what on earth is wrong with my beetle?
also if i jump the car. it will start?
but it wont start on its own with a new battery?
someone pleese help, i am running out of time money and patience.
thanks

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok so now, with the new battery in, it is acting like it is dead like i have no batterey at all. it will show the mileage display but when i turn the key everything dies...
and i cant even jump it?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anyone?

so heres the latest update and a step by step of what i have done

1. the car wouldent start only turn over real real slow and then die. as well as a loud rapid clicking from under the hood.
this made me think it was the starter.
2. i took out the old starter and changed it out with a new one.
car still wouldent start and this time no turning over without fireing only the rapid clicking.
so i jumped it and it started up, that made me think mabye i need a new batterey.
so i go and get a battery and install it.
this time no clicking no nothing, and cant jump it
come back outside and now accesories will work and everything but the car dies when i try to start it.

Also i have traced the clicking on the inside to a fuse box/pannel under the dash, the clicking was comeing from a large relay type box with the number 409 on the outside..?

i really dont know whats wrong with my car or how to fix it?
mainly because evrytime i go out there something else happens.

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
A new battery is not always a charged battery. Some stores will put a rapid charge in the battery. Just enough to turn on the radio, and very little else. If the battery is discharged, it is best to let it charge up over night. Jumping it will do little in the way of charging the battery. The generator is designed to maintain the charge in the battery. Not charge up a dead battery by it self.
Are the cables on tight? Both on the battery and the starter? Something that is sometimes a gotcha, the battery posts on a VW are reversed from those on American cars. Be sure you have the cables attached to the correct posts.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
I just went thru this 2 weeks ago...My original VW battery (normally good for 60 months had 72 months of use) finally committed Hare Kare on me,...same symptoms....So, I got out my 12V battery charger, and let it charge overnight...got up the next morning, and it started fine. Drove to the store, picked up a new battery, (which sat on the charger for another night because it wasn't fully charged) and the next day, changed out the battery with the fresh one.....no problems since then:rolleyes:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you ever just feel like a dumb ass?
lol

well yaull wanna know what the prob was?
I was just sitting the cabels back ont to batterey terminals.. not fully tightening them.
so when i fully tightned them both it fired right up.
DUH!

thanks for all the help once more
keep newbeetle.org full of helpfull hints so we can master our own cars and save alot of money!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts