NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, it's ironic that i just took my pepper out for a photo shoot yesterday in the fall leaves. a few hours later on the interstate, i hit a deer. thank god it didn't go through the windshield, but pepper's body got all bruised and bumped :( the headlight got knocked out, the hood is pretty much destroyed, various other dents and broken pieces and such. and yes, the deer obviously died.

it really is an eye opening and emotional experience to think that i could've been seriously hurt, or even died. anything like that ever happen to you all?

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
GINA said:
well, it's ironic that i just took my pepper out for a photo shoot yesterday in the fall leaves. a few hours later on the interstate, i hit a deer. thank god it didn't go through the windshield, but pepper's body got all bruised and bumped :( the headlight got knocked out, the hood is pretty much destroyed, various other dents and broken pieces and such. and yes, the deer obviously died.

it really is an eye opening and emotional experience to think that i could've been seriously hurt, or even died. anything like that ever happen to you all?
To heck with the deer, your poor car! :jawdrop:
Good luck Gina. Take good care of that Pepper. Hopefully it'll just be dings and dents.

Glad you're okay.

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
18,311 Posts
You're right! Thank God you are OK! My friends mom was killed by a deer coming through the windshield. It kicked her right in the temple and she died instantly. Horrible. It could have been worse and your car can be fixed.
So glad you're OK!

·
Premium Member
6,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
unfortunately some paint got knocked off along with the scratches and dents. that damn thing did a number on my poor guy! as luck would have it, my boyfriend's dad owns a body shop, so maybe i can get some kind of deal?

·
18,311 Posts
Oh..and I've hit my fair share of deer. One time I actually tried to swerve and miss one and got into a horrible accident. I should have hit the deer! I know they say you shouldnt swerve that you should just hit them but it was an unconscious reaction and before I knew it my car was totalled and I was in bad shape.
Never swerve! Head right for the deer! :rolleyes:

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
CyberGreenBaby said:
Oh..and I've hit my fair share of deer. One time I actually tried to swerve and miss one and got into a horrible accident. I should have hit the deer! I know they say you shouldnt swerve that you should just hit them but it was an unconscious reaction and before I knew it my car was totalled and I was in bad shape.
Never swerve! Head right for the deer! :rolleyes:
Oddly enough they say you might even have better results to accelerate before impact to kinda SHOOT the deer right off the hood.
Sogladyoursafe

·
Premium Member
6,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FineExampl said:
Oddly enough they say you might even have better results to accelerate before impact to kinda SHOOT the deer right off the hood.
Sogladyoursafe
i've heard the same thing. my reaction was to slam on the brakes though -- you just can't help it when something is running in front of you!

·
18,311 Posts
Deer are so stupid! Them getting mesmerized by headlights is proof enough. But I had one do something even more stupid once. I was driving down this windy road in PA and I saw a doe cross the road ahead of me so I quickly stopped because the rule of thumb is "If you see one cross there are probably more" so I stop to make sure there arent anymore. And there was one more...it came charging out of the woods and ran right into the side of my completely stopped car! Fell over...sat up..shook its head and stood up and ran off. I swear I wish i had a video camera just then! :lol:

·
Beetle Cup racer
567 Posts
I am glad you are ok and it was just a big scare...

now its SHAVED HOOD EMBLEM TIME...!!! whoooo hooooooo!!!

·
Premium Member
6,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
haha i'm actually hoping they replace the entire hood (which is possible due to the extent of damage). my hood originally had some random knicks due to pebbles i guess. it would be nice to start from scratch ;)

·
Premium Member
985 Posts
So sorry about your poor Pepper, but very glad you're okay.

I was thinking about this very thing this morning as we had to stop for a doe that was just standing in the middle of the highway on the way to work. I've hit several, but I've always been in my Expedition and have only 2 small dents on the side door to show for it (Deer vs. Expedition= Expedition wins every time).

Never, never swerve. Bad things happen when you hit deer, much worse things happen when you swerve.

Also this time of year, we have to watch out for the wild turkeys on the road. I saw about 20 yesterday, and they sure don't fly fast. Hit one of those, your're gonna lose your windshield.:scared:

·
Everett Street in May
3,205 Posts
Wow, glad to here that you are ok though Gina. Sorry that the car will now need to be off the road for a while in order to get all fixed up.

If you have "personal" access to a body shop like that, just hand you friends dad a wish list, and sit back.

Best of luck, hope pepper is back out soon and better than ever.

TechnoTrix'd...:wave3:

·
Super Moderator
14,766 Posts
Thank goodness you're OK. I've heard terrible things about cars verses deer. Thank goodness you are OK! :(

·
Premium Member
6,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
went and got my estimate yesterday after work. it will be around $1610 and will take a week to fix. ouch! :crying: they said the whole hood and headlight needs to be replaced. thank goodness the deer was nice to me and didn't damage the bumper at all :rolleyes:

·
crank it up, suckers!
5,596 Posts
I, too, am glad you're okay. Cars heal much better than people do.

I've been thinking it might be time for a carbon fiber hood, but that might be over-doing it.

·
Premium Member
6,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Beetlemania said:
I, too, am glad you're okay. Cars heal much better than people do.

I've been thinking it might be time for a carbon fiber hood, but that might be over-doing it.
ohhh i would love one of those -- but yeah, i think i should really just stick with the regular one for now. let's get past this crap first :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
5,363 Posts
A few months ago, I slowed down because I saw some deer running across the street. One of them, about half way across the road, slipped and slid on it's butt the rest of the way across the street. And then it couldn't get up because it's feel keep sliding around on the road :lol:

·
I Luv CGB!!!
2,128 Posts
Glad to hear you are alright,Gina. Sounds like Pepper will be well taken care of and you both will be back on the soon.:)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts