NewBeetle.org Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
It's what the people want
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Cross-posted because I'm unsure of which thread this should be in)

I just had my mechanic replace one of my burned out headlights when I took Valerie Sunflower in for her 60,000 mile scheduled maintenance (yes, it took about ten years to get there). Now I no longer have a warning tone when I open the door with the lights on / keys in the ignition.

Even though this may be something caused by the mechanic (it didn't start until they poked under the hood), I'd rather see if it's something I can fix myself before messing with going back in to their shop again. It is a MAJOR pain to get in to my mechanic.

Is there a fuse or something that controls this? Or is this a common problem? Has anyone heard of this / experienced this before? One of my old pickup trucks would say DOOR AJAR all the time unless I really slammed the door like three or four times, I'm wondering if a switch didn't go ... ?

Any help appreciated. I'll call my mechanic in the morning just in case nobody has any ideas, since I'm sure it'll take at least a week or two to get me in there :mad: I will say, though, once you get an appointment with them they are fast and (unless proven otherwise) very efficient & good with my little bug.

·
Jitterbug
1,086 Posts
If you have access to vagcom you can run an output test on the instruments that will test the buzzer, but the buzzer is AFAIK integral with the instrument cluster so I am having to live with no warning tones...

·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you have access to vagcom you can run an output test on the instruments that will test the buzzer, but the buzzer is AFAIK integral with the instrument cluster so I am having to live with no warning tones...
I've actually got an appointment with my mechanic for next week. I really think it's the sensor in the door, since it's not just warning tones - the car physically does not "know" when I open the door, including automatically re-locking and re-arming itself even if I open the door, and the dome lights don't trigger from the driver's side door.

·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sure enough; just got a call from my mechanic, it was the door latch assembly. It was covered under my extended warranty, so a $75 deductible later I'm good to go. Thanks, all!

·
5/23/10 <3
10,967 Posts
You probably have a bulb out or on its way out...not related to this topic though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.