VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
irregular member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My stock awv beetle is making this noise while under load regardless of rpm. I have a feeling that this is the turbo inlet pipe collapsing but I would like a second opinion. My car is not as loud as the one in the video because I disconnected the n75 electrical connector while trying to diagnose the noise. With it disconnected, the noise is nowhere near as loud, but it is still there.

·
Registered
15,841 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Pulled Any codes?

My car has a very similar sound, almost like your squeezing and dog squeaky toy down by my feet under the dash...I'm also getting a p0171 code...not sure if it's related to the sound...

·
irregular member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Other than some emission codes that I caused when I deleted a few things in the engine bay, I have no codes especially a p0171. I am going to try my extra diverter valve and see what happens.

I do have another question. My extra diverter valve is a knock off of a forge 007. This valve likes to stick open sometimes causing an internal boost leak. Is it safe to use until I can afford to get a replacement? If I was to leave the n75 electrically disconnected with the sticking diverter valve, would I have to worry about the turbo overspinning as I would with a normal boost leak and a properly connected n75? I have no problem driving a slow car. I can't afford to replace the dv until this semester starts.

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
I don't know but I wouldn't want to chance damaging your turbo! I drove my 1.8t for years with a bad/sticking stock diverter valve and it did not seem to have damaged the turbo.

For the Chinese knock off Forge DV; have you tried doing some maintenance, greasing it or changing the spring strength?

I would try some testing of the DV (does it hold vacuum) and see if any of the other one way valves are leaking. Try swapping the other DV in and if the sound goes away; you know, that is the problem.

Confirm the cause of the noise; before throwing parts at it; it could be a inexpensive vacuum valve off the brake booster hose, the one over the valve cover or the plastic vacuum jet pump. Try pinching off hoses or moving or removing parts around and see if the noise changes or goes away.

A stock new 710N valve by Kayser; is typically in the $50 range online with places like ecstuning, offering free shipping now.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
irregular member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you. I have tried lubing and changing the springs in the knockoff dv several times, but it always sticks once the car gets warm.I think that the plunger is expanding.

I will try it later today and see if the noise changes. Other than that I will do a good inspection of the tip and the remaining check valves. I removed several of them during my emissions delete I did about a year ago.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
leak

sounds like that common failure of the vacuum hose mounted on the brake booster by the firewall next to the brake fluid reservoir.

·
irregular member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tried using the other dv and there was no change. I will look into that vacuum hose by the brake booster.

·
irregular member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well it looks like esse10 was right! I bypassed the brake vacuum circuit on my break at work and the car is now running better than it has in a long time. The noise is gone, the random backfires have stopped, and it starts very quickly and quietly compared to what it was. I will fix it properly tomorrow. It was a little iffy with no power brakes, but I have driven several cars that did not even come equipped with them new.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
cool

Well it looks like esse10 was right! I bypassed the brake vacuum circuit on my break at work and the car is now running better than it has in a long time. The noise is gone, the random backfires have stopped, and it starts very quickly and quietly compared to what it was. I will fix it properly tomorrow. It was a little iffy with no power brakes, but I have driven several cars that did not even come equipped with them new.
good to hear you found the problem. :goodjob:

·
Registered
13 Posts

What did you do to fix the hose?

Just looked and mine is held on by zip ties...don't think that is factory...lol

·
irregular member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I know that this will be looked down on but I have several non stock vacuum hoses already. I simply used 1/2 inch hose from autozone to replace the stock hose. It works well. My stock hose crumbled in my hands when I tried to inspect it for leaks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts