NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
50% OLD (o\_l_/o) School
1,432 Posts
So ... you have been in Gainesville all this time and I just now am seeing you after I traded my car? We STILL need to do a get together regardless of weather I don't drive a beetle anymore.

About the part ... not sure.. going searching.

·
Ruby's master mechanic
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So ... you have been in Gainesville all this time and I just now am seeing you after I traded my car? We STILL need to do a get together regardless of weather I don't drive a beetle anymore.

About the part ... not sure.. going searching.
haha! Actually, I just moved to central Florida, but yes I was there for about 6 years. Funny, there weren't too many beetles in Gainesville that I noticed. Every time I saw one I would ask Ruby (haha, my beetle) if she knew it. Weird? Lame? Maybe, but entertaining. :D

Thanks for helping, I have tried looking several times but I am not even sure what system it is a part of!

·
50% OLD (o\_l_/o) School
1,432 Posts
haha! Actually, I just moved to central Florida, but yes I was there for about 6 years. Funny, there weren't too many beetles in Gainesville that I noticed. Every time I saw one I would ask Ruby (haha, my beetle) if she knew it. Weird? Lame? Maybe, but entertaining. :D

Thanks for helping, I have tried looking several times but I am not even sure what system it is a part of!
Its hard finding people here that are into their beetles like we are but there are TONS of beetles here now .... :( ... to bad you moved. Make sure you go to the St. Augustine GTG in September!

·
Techno Blue driver
53 Posts
Looks like a check valve for the vac. line.See if you can get any numbers off it,then call the parts dept.to verify it.

·
Super smart senior member
857 Posts
I'm 100% sure its your brake booster line It goes from a valve in the back of the engine to a big cylinder on the driver side right?

They fail easily, get yourself some good thick tubing from Auto Zone ($4) and patch it up, its going to be a tight fit but its easy enough to do.

another note, that could also be why you're having idle problems, the brake booster line pulls a vac from the engine to aid in braking and if it has a big enough leak it will kill the engine so a small leak might cause sputters/cel problems, replace this first before messing with the throttle body.

·
Ruby's master mechanic
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm 100% sure its your brake booster line It goes from a valve in the back of the engine to a big cylinder on the driver side right?

They fail easily, get yourself some good thick tubing from Auto Zone ($4) and patch it up, its going to be a tight fit but its easy enough to do.

another note, that could also be why you're having idle problems, the brake booster line pulls a vac from the engine to aid in braking and if it has a big enough leak it will kill the engine so a small leak might cause sputters/cel problems, replace this first before messing with the throttle body.
Interesting theory! Yes, your location is correct! I had jusssst replaced all the vacuum lines because I thought that was a problem. So, if I understood your suggestion correctly, I should replace the molded plastic piece with some hosing?

·
Super smart senior member
857 Posts
Interesting theory! Yes, your location is correct! I had jusssst replaced all the vacuum lines because I thought that was a problem. So, if I understood your suggestion correctly, I should replace the molded plastic piece with some hosing?
Yes, thats what I did. Make sure its a thick hosing though, a thin one will collapse. I think I used a thinner radiator hose but check the diameter of the broken one before or bring it in with you to autozone and they will find you one.

·
Ruby's master mechanic
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just wanted to add finishing comments in case anyone else reads this looking for answers...

This fixed about 95% of my problems! I am still getting P0103 and can still hear a hissing (albeit MUSH quieter). The car still stalls when it is really hot out or the car has been running for awhile, I think the hose I have is a smidgen too big (1/2 inch). I am going to get a slightly smaller hose today after work and hope for the best - if there is not a slightly smaller hose, I will probably clamp the hose I have.

The hose I have is very thick walled so I am afraid the clamp will not do anything but I think it works fine until the rubber expands wtih the heat. If this is the case, a worm clamp may work and then the stalling may **hopefully** be stopped for good.

Just for good measure, I cleaned out the throttle body and cleaned the MAF. I have not seen any indication that I need to re-align the throttle body but I have had instances of this before ... not needing to reset things I mean. It may be because I have an early 99, before they changed a lot of the electronic programming. For instance, I do not need to go to the dealership to reprogram a new key or need a radio code after unhooking the battery. In fact, when I need to reprogram anything, I just unhook the battery for 20 min.

Okay that was long and mostly unnecessary but I wanted to post the possible solution because when I am looking for solutions I find a lot of unsolved questions and it is frustrating. Thank you to everyone that helped me with this!! I have my fingers crossed about the hosing but if it doesn't work, I'll probably post on this thread again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts