VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! Hope everybody is well I have a 2004 New Beetle, the turquoise blue 'Music Edition'. I have a new problem this Winter that I never had before, and my local mechanic has had my car 4 times, and can't find what the problem is. I also shelled out almost $700 for him to fix what he thought was wrong, grrrr....

Basically, I first thought that something was hanging below my car, because whenever I went over a bump, speed bump, or the worst of all - a mound in the road, my car sounded like something under the front of it was scraping the road. But, it was checked, and air put into the tires, to no avail. Then he looked inside the car, and said that a strut was "collapsed", so he changed those, and also that my brake pads in the front needed to be changed, so he changed those. I picked it up to find that the scraping sound problem was even worse than before! So, then he felt that there may be loose Bushings, and he kept tightening those... It's better, but the problem is still there, HOWEVER, I did notice that it only seems to happen badly when the car has been left out in the cold for over an hour or so. When it's been in my garage over night, it doesn't happen.

Any good soul out there have any idea what this could be? My poor Beetle :(

Thank you! :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Find another mechanic, one who doesn't charge you good money to learn how to fix your car. Guessing and fiddling with/replacing parts is NOT the proper way to fix things.
If someone gave me their car to find and fix a noise and I failed, I wouldn't have the heart to charge them for experimenting.

As to the noise, I would check the front wheel backing plates for a bent spot or something stuck to it. With the contraction from lower temps, all sorts of things can develop that don't show at higher temps.
I've seen noises that drive people crazy that turn out to be the simplest things to fix, often for little or no charge.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Joe, thank you so very, very much for your help. I will take your input very seriously! It sounds like you really know your stuff :) I hate to start with a new guy who is going to charge me all over again, but I guess it's come to that. Whomever I go to, I am going to take your list of possibilities with me, because when this does happen, it sounds like I am damaging my car at even the smallest bump in the road :( Thank you again, and I wish you a great 2015 and beyond :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Find another mechanic, one who doesn't charge you good money to learn how to fix your car. Guessing and fiddling with/replacing parts is NOT the proper way to fix things.
If someone gave me their car to find and fix a noise and I failed, I wouldn't have the heart to charge them for experimenting.

As to the noise, I would check the front wheel backing plates for a bent spot or something stuck to it. With the contraction from lower temps, all sorts of things can develop that don't show at higher temps.
I've seen noises that drive people crazy that turn out to be the simplest things to fix, often for little or no charge.

I had a similar scraping noise and it turned out to be the backing plate that was slightly bent and aggravated by colder weather, just as suggested.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My noise sounded like the brake sensor scrapping on the rotor. It got worse on turns and on bumps, and when it was cold. After checking the rotors and the brakes, which were fine, I found the bent backing plate. Just straightened it out some and noise went away, never to return.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you so much. I will definitely have someone look at that. I feel like it is something to do with whatever shock absorbs for cars, and of course, by what I just wrote, you can see that I know virtually nothing about car mechanics, lol! Which is why I appreciate everyone's help with ideas on here. I may have to just save up and bring it to VW service center after all, which will really hurt after the $700 I already spent on it, but I'm starting to get desperate. It's been frigid here in NY lately, and it makes my car seem un-drivable, like I am hurting it every time I go over even a small bump in the road. Again, this only happens in the cold, but still :( Thank you again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts