VW Beetle Forum banner

mystery switch?

4K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  WNAB911 
#1 ·
i have a 98 beetle and where the hazard light and rear defroster buttons are there is another switch that is broken, i put a different switch on and it was receiving power(it was one of those switches that light up). does anyone know what this switch does. it's the closest one to the drives side. i'm thinking it might be heated seats because my seats are leather but i dont know.

#4 ·
That location is the ASR on mine, if that's of any help.

The heated seats use dials numbering 1 to 5 and are on the extreme left and right of the switch array, which are missing in your picture.

#7 ·
Hey, that IS a rocker switch! I couldn't make it out in the pic last night and thought maybe the push button's face was simply rubbed clean by an over-zealous ASR-disabling driver. :)

#10 ·
Well, if they didn't change the backside of that switch it's the ASR (newer cars have the consequently newer acronym, ESP, which does do more than change the letters on the button)... though why would one want a rocker switch... hmm.. I wonder if that switch could possibly disable ASR such that even restarting the car keeps it disabled instead of resetting back to on. That doesn't make sense, though.

Ever flip the switch to see what happens? :)

#11 ·
I don't bneleive it's a tracktion control switch. It's a 98 bug, and they dind't come with traction control (started in '99 with hte 1.8t i beleive) And was standard with the 1.8t's and optional with the 2.0's and tdi's (i dont have a switch). That spot was home to just an empty fswitch-looking cap without ASR or ESP. I'd take that bottom panel off (4 t20 torx screws) and find where the wires go. If theyre wired into a factory harness, then maybe, for some reason, it does have ASR, and someone really wanted it off all the time.

#13 ·
Were it a 1.8T I'd've guessed it was some sort of mister switch. Seeing as it isn't... that certainly is proving to be a mystery.

#15 ·
Newbie here... My 99NB has the same switch. I have a pretty good digital camera so I will try taking a picture and post although I have never posted a pic here before so wish me luck.

I have a terrible rattle that seems to be coming from my dash. I bought my NB used last spring with rattle that my husband said he could/would fix but hasn't. The NB has had quite a few mods done to it so it might be due to that but I don't know how to find the source. Any ideas???? Sorry, this is probably a stupid question and I'm not sure what other information one might need to be able to help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.