VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Two month ago I discovered a coolant leak from drivers side flange and I’ve replaced it with a new one with new thermostat and new o-ring.

Today I’ve discovered a new leak... I can see coolant drops from a rouded black box on the firewall of the engine bay (heater core???).

Can you please give me help naming this leak and what to check or replace ?

Following coolant hoses I can see “Tube A” and “Tube B” going to the wall of the engine bay but they seems ok... even if I still haven't still disconnected because of heat

Does anyone know if those tubes have common leaking problems ?

Thank you in advance to anyone can provide help.

P.S. I have a NewBeetle 1.9 TDI with ALH engine

Attachments

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Those tubes are the lines to the heater. About a year ago my daughter had one of the plastic elbow fittings between the hose and the heater core split open and dump all the coolant as she was driving. It left her stranded, but no permanent damage to the car as she noticed it in time. It sounds like you may have a similar problem developing.

The plastic in the elbow fitting deteriorates over time. Mine crumbled as I removed it to replace it. Often new heater hoses come with the elbows attached, and I would definitely recommend replacing them whenever the hoses are replaced.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dear Red99,
Thank you at first for your fast and polite reply.
Can you please tell if you have replaced only the hoses with the elbow or also the plastic piece where the elbow plugs-in?
Or can you please provide part id i should order to my VW dealer?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
I would pressure test the cooling system; to pinpoint all leaks and confirm that everything is leak free, after all the parts are replaced. I bought the harbor freight kit and it has the adapter from our VW's and works well. Be sure to use their online 20% off coupons.

https://www.google.com/search?clien...hUKEwjZrsiWzZ7OAhVD8WMKHWw-DA0QvwUIFygA&dpr=2

As for identifying the VW part numbers; all the hoses and parts will have the Ava's part numbers, imprinted on them and you can identify them that way. Gates and CRP/Rein are making allot of the hoses and parts now; so, VW isn't the only source for cooling parts. I was able to order them through O'Reilly and Autozone (they also sell the correct G12+ Pentafrost SF+ coolant as well).

For VW part numbers look them up here: http://parts.vw.com/

CRP/Rein:

www.showmetheparts.com

Gates hoses

www.gates.com

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
The order that I replaced my parts was:

1. Replaced the heater hoses only (without couplers) as part of preventative maintenance in 2011.

2. Replaced the heater core because it was leaking into the HVAC unit inside the car in 2014.

3. Replaced the heater core coolant line couplers in 2015 after one broke.

So I have replaced the whole thing at this point. Your problems looks to be the coupler only. I checked online and it looks like VW has changed the arrangement of the heater lines a couple of times on the 1.9 liter engine. It would be best to take your VIN to the dealer and ask for the "heater core coolant hose coupler." There are two so you will need to figure out which type you need.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for your replies.

The replacement process seems to be a pita... i chosed to bypass the heater.... I'm not very happy but it works.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Is the heater core leaking? As noted, unfortunately;!all the plastic coolant related parts get very brittle and fragile. I've noticed; if you "touch" some cooling parts in a certain area of the cooling system you are working on; they can break or literally crumble when handled. I end up having to replace more plastic fittings connected to cooling hoses and plastic parts anywhere in the engine compartment; then, you initially think you do. After awhile, I got afraid of touching any of the plastic parts; lest, it break off, by just touching it! ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts