NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Bug me again!
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How about the driving conditions across Toronto this morning? What a nightmare!:eek5: I was coming back from a night shift around 7:30 a.m. and the highways were full of collisions. Never seen anything like it. :scared:You'd be by one accident, and through the falling snow could glimpse emergency lights at the next accident 1km down the road. :crazy: I saw at least 20 accidents on my way. That's an accident every 2km at least!

http://www.pulse24.com/News/Top_Story/20060107-002/page.asp

When I finally got home, I petted Ladybug's dash and said "Good bug! Not a scratch on either of us!":heart:

Needless to say, after that white-knuckle drive :eek:hnoes:I pulled straight into the Canadian Tire and had had them put some serious winter boots (tires) on Ladybug. They're Nordic Ice's and so far seem to improve my traction by about 40-50%. I say "money well spent.":goodjob::D

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
winter

look on the bright side we are counting down the days to spring.
Too bad the new beetles werent as good as the old beetles in snow I had one in the 70s with studded tires [before they were made illegal] it would go anywhere but freezing cold inside in winter.
I comute 300 klm a day but in the really bad weather I drive my 4x4 due to ground clearance problems with the V W .

·
Bug me again!
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Spring? what Spring?

electraglide said:
look on the bright side we are counting down the days to spring.
Too bad the new beetles werent as good as the old beetles in snow
I have to salute your optimism, considering the climate in Toronto. I mean, we get snow storms until the end of April! That's a lot of counting:D :p
I don't have experience with the old bugs, but I think NB's are o.k. in winter (unless you drive on snowed-in country roads). I think the combination of the low centre of gravity, solid weight and lack of long trunk/hood makes our cars agile in the snow. Ofcourse winter tires are a must. I can't get over the difference!:banana:

·
Registered
33 Posts
winter tires

I wish they would make winter tires mandatory up here I am always worried about the other drivers out there without them ,losing control and smashing into me or someone else .
congratulations on buying the winter tires I hope you enjoy many safe miles of driving with them.
Last year spring came early I was riding my motorcycle in April.

·
Grand Poobah
506 Posts
Sounds brutal. I'm from Saskatchewan where more snow and blizzards are normal. I've never been down east so I can't comment on if you are worse off then here, but we've had an easy winter this year.

·
NBC 1.8T
12 Posts
If this is a "bad winter" competition, then Newfoundland wins!

When you say "down east"... just try driving for another 2 days, take a 8 hour ferry ride and come to see me!;)

Can't wait for winter to end here - - we're due for another 30-40 cm in the next 24 hours. Doesn't feel like I'll ever see my NBC come out of storage:frosty:

Alison

1 - 9 of 9 Posts