NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
08 2.5L automatic <- Locks while siting and while driving (tho I think that's normal around 5~10 MPH?)

:/ I got something draining my battery it takes a week~ or so before it it's to low to start.

Only thing I've noticed is that doors (both) will be locked when I know I left them unlocked. So before I go replacing things I'd like a confirmation the doors don't normally lock after sitting for a few hours.

Google-fu suggest it's a bad open/close sensor or the lock/unlock button constantly/randomly sending the "lock" signal. Likely the driver door b/c it's the most used.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
The door will relock after 30 seconds or so if you unlock the car it but don't open a door. It seems that your door latch is not sensing that the door is opening. You could try opening and closing the passenger side door to see if that ends the relock issue. Do the puddle lights on the door work properly? Those will indicate how the latch is sensing the open/close. (Could be the cause of your battery drain, too.)

There has been a history of problems with the sensors in the door latch. The root cause was bad solder joints on the microswitches leading to intermittent connections. I thought it was sorted out by 2008, but maybe not, or you have a bad switch or something else.

Here is info on fixing the door latch:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Do the puddle lights on the door work properly? Those will indicate how the latch is sensing the open/close. (Could be the cause of your battery drain, too.)
I just opened the driver door panel and it doesn't have puddle lights just a plastic reflector. Didn't see an unused wire so I think it was made that way?

*It looks like the past owner had issues with the door panel has some cracks like they took it off a few times + it wasn't seated right.

/edit dome lights light up with passager door open but not driver so the driver side door latch is acting up.

The door will relock after 30 seconds or so if you unlock the car it but don't open a door.
It locks way latter then 30 secs. I waited around a good 10 mins gave up and came back an hour latter~ and it was locked.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Your doors may just be coded to lock like that. Part of the beauty of vcds is finding out what they are coded for and adjusting it if you would prefer something else.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Looks like I can get a driver side door lock actuator for 25~ bucks assuming the no name parts will work?
I didn't think that part could be so cheap. I guess there has been a sizable replacement market for it though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts