VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! 03 NB, I've got the 6 CD changer in the armrest and radio cassette Monsoon in the dash. I've read some posts about adding a AUX port for an ipod and routing it remotely (console, glove box, under the seat, etc). The process I've seen unplugs the blue block (CD lines?) from the back of the stereo and replacing it with the adapter that includes the aux port. Looks pretty simple.

My question I suppose is, by doing this, does it still allow the CD player to function or does mp3 replace the CD player? Cause I still want to be able to listen to my double ABBA Gold CD! maybe there is a better method altogether?

Thanks once again! Dave

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
The MP3 Player will replace the CD Player; unless you can devise some sort of "Y" Adapter that allows the two components to share the same inputs.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
So I HIGHLY suggest you get a newer Monsoon head unit with the CD/MP3 player. These play CD's as well as discs with MP3 songs burned on them, meaning you can have like 125 songs on a single disc.

Read this thread - http://newbeetle.org/forums/car-audio/58487-7-90-aux-input-newer-head-unit.html

I also added a Bluetooth device so I could stream music via A2DP as well as use the hand free speaker phone.

Doing what I suggested above will allow you to keep the 6 CD changer AND have AUX AND add Sirius if you are adventurous.

You can also search Ebay, there are placed that will add an Aux input to your stock tape head unit for about $60 as I recall. Search my user name, there is info on that as well.

·
Everett Street in May
3,212 Posts
So I HIGHLY suggest you get a newer Monsoon head unit with the CD/MP3 player. These play CD's as well as discs with MP3 songs burned on them, meaning you can have like 125 songs on a single disc.

Read this thread - http://newbeetle.org/forums/car-audio/58487-7-90-aux-input-newer-head-unit.html

I also added a Bluetooth device so I could stream music via A2DP as well as use the hand free speaker phone.

Doing what I suggested above will allow you to keep the 6 CD changer AND have AUX AND add Sirius if you are adventurous.

You can also search Ebay, there are placed that will add an Aux input to your stock tape head unit for about $60 as I recall. Search my user name, there is info on that as well.
Great info!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mp3

jfoj- Thanks for the note. Well I wasn't really looking to drop a lot of coin on this little program, but when you get right down to it, we NEVER play cassettes anymore, and don't spin CDs real often (but we do). If I did replace the head unit with the CD mp3 Monsoon, (There is a buy it now for $180 right now) I could remove the ginormous 6 CD changer in the armrest. That extra storage room would be helpful for other crap my wife likes to keep in her car. Important stuff of course. :)

I'd still prefer a discrete cable and plug out of sight- like maybe in that newly reclaimed armrest space.

I went to the ebay cable link you sent, what I saw was a $6.30 cable, maybe the price was just updated. Blue block on one end, plug (sized for mp3 player / ipod I guess) on the other. Looks nice and simple, would that setup still allow CDs to be played AND remote mp3 to be used? Why can't they just put an aux port on the back of the head unit?

Plenty of other little items to sort out on this 200k car we just purchased back in September, this mp3 thing might not happen till spring. Have a long winter to get through... Dave

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
jfoj- Thanks for the note. Well I wasn't really looking to drop a lot of coin on this little program, but when you get right down to it, we NEVER play cassettes anymore, and don't spin CDs real often (but we do). If I did replace the head unit with the CD mp3 Monsoon, (There is a buy it now for $180 right now) I could remove the ginormous 6 CD changer in the armrest. That extra storage room would be helpful for other crap my wife likes to keep in her car. Important stuff of course. :)

I'd still prefer a discrete cable and plug out of sight- like maybe in that newly reclaimed armrest space.

I went to the ebay cable link you sent, what I saw was a $6.30 cable, maybe the price was just updated. Blue block on one end, plug (sized for mp3 player / ipod I guess) on the other. Looks nice and simple, would that setup still allow CDs to be played AND remote mp3 to be used? Why can't they just put an aux port on the back of the head unit?

Plenty of other little items to sort out on this 200k car we just purchased back in September, this mp3 thing might not happen till spring. Have a long winter to get through... Dave
I do not think the cassette head unit can have a simple cable connected to add an Aux input. You will need to have the cassette head unit modified. As mentioned there are people on ebay that can do this for about $60 as I recall? I think the users name on ebay is factoryradios

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mp3

jfoj- I was asking IF I bought a new ebay monsoon with the mp3 CD deck,

AND added the remote aux jack

AND dumped both the cassette deck head and the armrest 6 CD changer,

could I play CDs through the Monsoon AND use the mp3 jack?

That's my question... Dave

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Sorry, did not follow you 100%.

So if you purchased a newer Monsoon CD head unit, you could in fact play CD's and if you found the correct head unit with MP3 listed on the faceplate the disc player would play discs with MP3 songs. Additionally you would add a Aux cable as I did. Just note that the Aux cable I installed was not really "plug & play" I had to butcher the connector to get the terminals out of the plug and move these on to the plug that was part of the cars harness as I recall.

You could also leave the CD changer hooked up and it would still be operational. The head unit can switch between the CD, AUX, AM, FM, CD Changer and IF you wanted to add a Sirius module and wire it, you would also have Sirius in the car as well.

Then I would suggest you add a ground loop isolator because you WILL have noise and static if you power your portable device at the same time it is connected to the Aux cable.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EAQTRI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Take it a few steps further you can add a Bluetooth connection for A2DP steaming from a portable device as well as hands free phone operation - http://www.amazon.com/Kinivo-BTC455...&qid=1446675265&sr=1-1&keywords=kinovo+btc455

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mp3 with aux

jf- ok now we're talking! Where would the isolator fit in that arrangement?

I think if we had a CD right in the dash, I probably would take the 6 CD box out of the armrest.

Dave

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
The ground loop isolator would be in series with the Aux input cord. It can be buried in the dash or behind the glovebox. If you use a Bluetooth interface, you will not need the isolator, but you never know if and when you may bypass a Bluetooth interface.

This is also an item I have used in the past to offer a fix input jack - Amazon.com: iSimple IS335 Dash Mountable Auxiliary Input Adapter: Car Electronics

I would not bother about removing the CD changer in the armrest, probably not worth the effort.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mp3

jf- ok that's easy and cheap enough. I've seen that remote aux port somewhere, I think I'd prefer a dangling plug inside my glovebox or inside the armrest cavity- don't really want wires hanging out of the dash. I doubt we will totally go Bluetooth, but it sounds like that isolator would be good to have in case we do, and it's only 11 bucks. Dave

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
The iSimple dash mountable Aux Input is a panel mount jack. I think you drill a 3/8" hole in a panel and this gives a nice finished and mounted female 1/8" stereo port to connect a male to male 1/8" stereo jumper between the panel jack and music player.

This jack can be mounted in the dash, inside the glovebox or somewhere else.

The ground loop isolator is not needed if you plan to use a Bluetooth connection, but it is REQUIRED if you connect your music player to the Aux port with a cable. Everything will be fine until you connect your music device to power for charging, then without a ground loop isolator you WILL have noise.

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
Here is my iSimple solution for updating the Stock Cassette Head Unit. Also, you can make an custom Aux Input using the External CD Connector; connect just the R+/- and L+/- Audio wires from the head unit to the aux connector. Aside from the CD Select and Volume buttons, the stock head unit controls will not do anything.

Technical Note: Not certain if this Custom AUX type of input connection is detrimental to the stock head unit or not.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts