NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I’m new to the site and have a question about my “new to me” ride. 2003 NB convertible in harvest moon. I have a black top that has some abrasions on it. Most the top is nice but it’s like someone rubbed a little bit of sand paper in spots and I also have a couple of spot that the canvas has loose threads and I don’t want them to start unraveling to make a hole. Is there any product to stop this from happening?

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
We have the same situation with the tan top on our '06 NBC. If you search this forum you will find numerous suggestions about various types of glues/adhesives/sealers that people have used to try to repair these areas. I used a curved upholstery needle and tan thread to fix the worst area on our top.

Note I used the word "try". The best you can hope is to slow down the abrasion as well as keep the water out so it does not damage the inner 2 layers.

The reality is that you are dealing with an 15 year old convertible top. The decision is not if but when the top is replaced.

In our situation the top functions great and does not show any signs of water leakage. The abrasions are visually not attractive but no where near bad enough to justify replacing the top at this time. Replacing the top will become an economic decision when it deteriorates sufficiently. Do we replace it and keep the vehicle, replace it to increase the sale price, or sell it as is?

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Just realized that this is in the wrong NBC forum. Your car is an '03 and this is in the 2012+ forum.

If one of the Webmasters is checking they could possibly move it to the correct forum.

Thank you!

·
Banned
33 Posts
I have owned 3 VW Beetles.
This is my 4th and what a ride. I went from a standard transmission to an automatic. This was a different transition as I thought the automatic would be slow from start up. It is low to the ground but you have full control when driving.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts