NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Ace Bug Pilot
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe it's just me, but, it's seems like the NB is either snubbed or being ignored in magazines. Mags like VW Trends or European Tuner very rarely have anything mentioning the NB. Why? I'm new to the VW NB seen but I would have expected to see more exposure with people customizing them or tuning them in the mags. It's been out since '98. Am I missing something? :confused:

·
Super Moderator
14,715 Posts
It's not just you. We are snubbed by everone, but NewBeetle.org.:(

Your car won't be in EuroTuner, unless it's uber-modded. And, then, it will be in the "Readers Rides" section. :mad:

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
I guess it's cause it's a "girls car" or some rubbish.

Whatever. It's got style, from the factory; hella lot better lookin' than a gti or a jetta; but it still doesn't get the recognition.

And when a bug DOES get recognition? It's a purple/yellow/orange/green creation with a killer paint job, lambo doors, chrome lights, a new antenna, and a p-flo intake. It's really lame being on the short end of the stick.

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
You got that right. I love all beetles, every one of them. Everyone secretly admires the Beetle, but so few have this belief that because it's so curvy that somehow it's femme. I see it quite the opposite. I see it as youthful and certainly unique. I still remember the first time i saw a 98. I knew i'd own one. Yeah i had to wait like 4 years, but whatever.

Eurotuner is so damn biased it's not even funny. All the euro mags are so into the GTI/R32 scene it's almost sickening. Not that i don't like those cars, but there's other models that have just as large a following. Doesn't Japan have a NB magazine or did that vanish as well?

In a way it's got a positive spin to it though. When VW finally does do the unimaginable and discontinue production we will each be the owner of a true "period" car. It certainly will be the most recognizable car from the end of the 90s and the first decade of the 21st century. Dare i say, some of us will have true collectors items. Especially the folks with the rarer body kits.

I though Herbie: Fully Loaded would have changed things a little, but it appears to not be the case so much. However, it was geared toward kids. I'd be willing to bet that most of the NB owners were Herbie fans back in the day. I know i was for a while. I still remember Buddy Hackett in the movies and i was traumatized hearing him telling dirty XXX jokes a couple years before he died.

There's always hope though. As long as mine keeps me smiling whever i see it, that's the only thing that concerns me.

·
Banned
2,553 Posts
my car doesn't need mag coverage.
it gets plenty of loox and attention enough as it is.
but the magazines i have been in, i've been damn greatful.

·
Some say............
1,665 Posts
Unfortunately VW Trends won't cover any NBs since Primedia killed the magazine back in March or so. Though they did feature quite a few NBs back in 98,99,00 when the NB was at the real height in popularity. The mag showed off alot of teh customs of the early days. But then European Car started to gain popularity so VWT then cut all water cooled features. Hot VWs throws in a water cooled from time to time, as does European Car, which I think is fairly receptive to the NB since it won their international grand prix in either 98 or 99.

·
Volkswagen Addict
123 Posts
I've noticed this too. I don't really expect Hot VWs or VW Trends to feature a New Beetle (since they mostly feature sand rails, dune buggies, and classic oldschool/aircooled rides), but somone like Eurotuner should feature one every now and then instead of just showing tricked out Golfs, Jettas, and Passats (along with an over abundance of Subaru WRXs, Hondas, and Mazdas to name a few).

I enjoy a modified Beetle, and I'm not bothered if it is 13 different colors with a crazy graphics scheme, lambo doors, a $5k stereo, and 19" wheels with a body kit. As long as the Beetle gets some attention (and respect), that's good enough for me.:D

Hopefully we'll see some newer Beetle getting modified, and maybe then the NB will get the props it deserves!

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
18,312 Posts
WNAB911 said:
Allstate will be using a New Beetle in it's new print advertising!
:)
So will Target. A certain NB is going to be famous soon!! :goodjob: ;)

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
streamlining

For me, it's all about streamlining. I have owned several Karmann Ghias, an old Beetle, a Mercury Sable wagon, and a Toyota Previa. Common thread: a healthy dose of 30's-style streamlining. The NB was the obvious next car in the succession, and a TDI sealed the deal. I get mileage comparable to a Prius, but my car has so much more style!

Who cares if the mags fawn over it? As you can see by the comments above, they're for lemmings who will do and buy whatever is declared cool by the other lemmings they hang with. I'm glad you all love your NBs, too, but I bought it for myself, not to impress you. I don't think that attitude has any cred at the car magazines.

·
STILL Can't Stop the Rock
336 Posts
CyberGreenBaby said:
So will Target. A certain NB is going to be famous soon!! :goodjob: ;)

Matilda is SUPPOSED to be a part of this years campaign for the Kickers, but that hasn't materialized yet...nor has Matilda

1 - 13 of 13 Posts