NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Turbo Bug
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm Ian and the proud owner of a 2001 Techno Blue 1.8T.
I purchased the bug in 2008 and despite a couple of niggles, it's been extremely reliable and always flys through its annual MOT.

I first saw the Concept bug during the late 90s (1998 I think) and hoped VW would produce it............and hoped I would own one! :) The production car looked even better than the concept and almost ten years later (after several visits to local VW dealers, drooling over bugs and picking up the latest bug brochures) I picked my bug up. A present to myself for successfully completing a University degree and my first year of teaching.

The wife and kids love it and have named it (Tubby the Turbo), to me - it's just 'the bug'. Not one for naming cars but still, completely love it!

Although I'm not really keen on the air-cooled variety, I can admire the work that goes into them and despite any serious mods to my own bug proving to be impractical, I am adding my own little touches.........to make it my own.

I do have a few pics on my other PC so will get round to uploading them here if anyone is interested.
I'm always interested in talking 'New Beetle' and having convinced a mate of mine to buy one too, we're both proud owners of 'hairdresser's cars' (as defined by a few of my friends, in jest of course..........not that I give a toss! :) )

Anywho - I've probably blabbed on far too much. Hello all. Nice to meet you. Looking forward to heading over to the gallery side of the forum to see the bugs and various modifications and differences in standard US and UK bugs.

Drive safe
Ian

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Welcome to the Org!

Welcome Ian,

Always love it when you guys come and visit. "Hairdresser's cars", hadn't heard that before but the implication is obvious (lol).

Are you guys on the evvo.co.uk Forum? I'm there, under the same User ID, but don't go around often, although I enjoy seeing the differences in people and ideas. You Brits seem a lot more into modding than ppl here. A number of members there are members here also.

Enjoy looking around, maybe start a photo thread, and if you need anything, just ask, someone will jump in directly with an answer. Lots of friendly ppl here. We are all intrigued by ppl from the other side of the pond, just wish y'all could speak better English (lmao).

MORAV

·
Turbo Bug
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers MORAV,
I was a member of Evvo a few years ago, not sure if my account is still active. I didn't visit that often as it seemed to be getting more and more air-cooled related than NB.
Not really that bothered about the old 'uns :)

I'll sort some pics out of my bug soon and get some posted. I'm waiting for a few little bits to arrive in the post....i'll get some pics then :)

I'll work on my English too :)
Ian

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I'll work on my English too :)
No, don't, it's fine just the way it is! I was kidding! Again, welcome!

I didn't notice the air-cooled's so much on the evvo, just that it seems that the Brits are way more into modding than ppl here, but perhaps it's just the forum. A lot of Modders on here also, but mostly just good, friendly folks with a love of the Beetle, both water and air-cooled. Many here own both.

M.

·
Turbo Bug
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I knew you were kidding :) not a prob. The day I stop having a laugh and a giggle is the day they can put me in a box!

My sister has an old beetle, late 60s I think. She's just spent a whoooooooooooooole lotta cash on having it totally gutted and restored. Looking good so far.

I love the look of lowered Beetles but due to the amount of speed bumps around here, my travels would be severely limited :)

I've noticed already that most are seriously into their ICE and putting amps and huuuuge speakers in the boot. They look wicked, but not for me. I made sure my bug had the original stereo in it..........purely for the bug logo on it! Sad, but true.
I think the standard audio set up, with the 6cd in the boot is plenty good enough. I have kids so can't have the volume set to 'ear-splitting', the Mrs would be annoyed lol.

A lot of the modifications, if I'm honest, are also out of my price range. I'm really into classic scooters (Lambrettas, the wife has her Vespas) and they take up a lot of my time and any surplus cash I have. I've gone for a few simple, subtle and CHEAP options :) just to make my bug a bit different. Mainly a few well placed decals......all will be revealed once they've arrived and are fixed firmly to the bug.

A mod that came with the car is an after-market MotoSport dump valve. Gives it a lovely 'whoosh' and a 'phhttt' of air when I change gear. Makes pedestrians give the car a second (or third) look. Not too sure if the tweaking it's had mechanically has made much of a difference as it's the only 1.8T bug I've driven. The 2.0 bugs I test-drove were ok, but just not as much fun as the turbo :-D

I noticed in another thread (which I can't seem to find now after my PC locked up and shut down) that in the US you could contact VW and get a 'birth certificate' specifically for your car. Is that right? If so, available to UK NB owners? I daren't ask at my local VW dealer for fear of coming across as a right nutter if they've heard nothing about them!

My local dealer is well aware of NB owners attachements to their bugs, not even flinching when both my wife and I glimpsed our bug having a headlight bulb changed, having to have the whole light (eye) removed and both of us 'feeling sorry for it' and not wanting to look. We must be bloody mad! lol
Asking for a birth certificate for a car may just be pushing it tho' :)

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts

·
Turbo Bug
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ummmmmmmmmm, I'm not technically minded with cars I'm afraid.......and the dumpvalve (which is on all turbo models but called something more technical and doesn't vent in the same way as a sports verion) was on it when I purchased the car.

I'm having the car stage one tuned / remapped so will ask if it has any other benefit other than making a sound (rush of surplus air ejected from the turbo) when I change gear.

Hopefully, in the next month or so I'll have a 200bhp monster under the bonnet :) I'll obviously report on any benefits etc :)

As far as the Birth Certificate, thanks for the link btw, I've contacted VW in the UK and have heard nothing. I'm assuming they think I'm some nutter asking for a birth certificate for my Bug.

I wonder if VW USA would be more helpful, I shall have to take a trip over to the US VW website.

I've posted a few old pics I have of my bug but I have since recived a few subtle additions which should be all fitted by this evening. I'm hoping for a sunny day sometime soon so I can get some recent pics sorted and uploaded here.

Oh, whilst I'm here, you may be able to help me. I have the turbo model as you know but in the UK the spoiler only activates automatically at around 95mph. Obviously, as our max speed limit here is 70mph I don't get to use it...............................often lol.
I've heard that the US spec spoiler motor activates at around 50mph. Are the US spec motors easily available for a 2001 turbo and do you know if they're easy enough to fit........for a complete car novice (I can strip and rebuild a Lambretta with my eyes closed ............but a car.........I have no idea.)
Any idea on a price for the US spec motors?
Thanks in advance

Thanks too for taking time to respond to my posts!
Drive safe
Ian

1 - 8 of 8 Posts