NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Feel the Power!
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got this idea from Vortex. After a few years of membership on the ORG I can truly say that one of my favorite forums is the "Members Rides" area. There are so many inspirational rides here! This is my attempt to pay homage to my favorite rides - I would like to nominate 14 cars I consider to be the "NB.org Heavyweights".

This list of (10) NBs and (4) NBCs (in no particular order) represent my all-time favorites due to their cosmetic mods, performance mods, and overall inspirational quality. ENJOY THESE, then nominate any others you feel are worthy!

RULES: You cannot only nominate your own car - if you do, you must also nominate two others... just make sure any car you nominate is one you truly believe is worthy to be considered an ORG "HEAVYWEIGHT".

Here we go!

gt2437

YELOJKT

BigBlockBug

Fowvay

Pittbug

4NToy

Freaky Beetle

1.8turboS

PHILthebeetle

Hollywood

Shrek2

w00sh! (of course ;) )

vw2nv

20VConvbug

·
Feel the Power!
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pelican18TQA4 said:
w00sh, no nominations for my car, I'm hurt ;)
I could've probably nominate half the cars on the ORG... at least there's room for some other nominations... heck, I had a time time narrowing it down to 14!

·
Some say............
1,665 Posts
Well a couple of my favorites are already up there, but here's some nominations.

OttotheEgg
Marvin
Pdoel
BugnBox
and I nominate my Elwood:D

Attachments

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
Without examining all the pics again, these are just off the top of my head...

Sukhoidave
Eeyore's Growler
Marvin
Mentalvdub
who else...hmmm
and people and passion and just because i know them to be cool as hell people (all on my list get the cool vote btw)
Justin aka The Cheat
Tom aka Fowvay (for all his rides)
Amy aka Cybergreenbaby
John aka FineExampl ...oh wait...that's me;)

This is a hard thread to answer...i could truly go on and on with who's got the coolest ride. hard thread man.

john

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
If I have to pick some bugs, well... lemme see... I came up w/17 from our current gallery.

gt2437's an unsung hero of APH owners everywhere. With a clean exterior, and a clean interior; enhancements blended in so well you'd think it's stock. And boy would you be wrong.

pdoel's a solid exterior alteration, but nothing too flashy; some great suspension and engine enhancements, and the interior just nails everything together for a great complete package.

pittbug's built a driver's car. With little to no exterior modifications unless they assist the driver; an engine that eats pavement for brunch, a suspension that won't let go, and an interior that pampers you like a luxo. His ride is all about driving.

marvins_dad for a solid and consistant theme throughout. The attention to detail goes into how well this theme is repeated throughout. Extensive modification to get to this point, I believe it's a serious show-stopper.

Eeyore, for pushing that retro agenda. That ride has a great deal to say about history; you'd never know it's only 5yrs old. Deffinately a style that has caught on; in large part to such a great execution on Growler.

turbo doc, for going out on a limb; and doin' it well. The exterior makes road-cars sweat; the turbo'd 2.0 is something we don't see nearly enough.

v-dubed, for breaking all the rules and going for insane power.

bigblockbug, for one hell of a job shoehorning a VR6 in there on his own. The style is simple and profound; the engine performance, already excellent, gets enhanced to a new level; it stops, it spins, and it looks damn fine doing it w/all the custom work he's put into it. Another excellent ride that'll take years to get the level of appreciation it deserves.

fowvay, for taking his 1.8t and going a smidge beyond the bolt-on level. For enhancing the ride without over-indulging any one particular aspect.

Pulgamovil, for taking his ride to a track-ready level, and proving it. Power is nothing without control, and the suspenion on Pulgamovil's ride steps up to the plate. Brakes, interior, exterior, no aspect left untouched, yet your left with a very straightfoward design. Awesome job.

freaky beetle has a bug that has undergone a few thematic changes; and has lately been on an old favorite, with a fresh twist. Props for doin' it his way; it's a very nice looking ride; a little more show than go, but man does it bark.

007 has done a great job at keeping the exterior updated, and elegant while consistantly evolving the engine performance and chasis angles. It's a work in progress, deffinately something still growing.

beetlejay's got style. The interior has some color work that really stands out in a good way, the exterior has a nice blend of body & accessory enhancements. And the accessory choices on the interior are really just enough to tie things in. Very slick aesthetically without going to the ends of the earth.

mikeyp for keeping it clean. It's simple, stylish, top-shelf... and I just don't know enough about it. :)

Lony, for making it go go go. A little glitzy for my tastes, but he spreads it around well from the exterior to the interior without overdoing it. Alot of aesthetic work, as well as performance minded upgrades. Another ride that's strong enough to stand on its own merits.

yelojkt is another up & comer with a VERY smooth & direct exterior. The bug's been developed with an over-all balance in aesthetics and performance. It's a nice lookin' ride with some good qualities; I hope this one keeps evolving cause I see some great things in the future on this one.

There were some that haven't transitioned to the new forums, and I've left those off. And there's some members that I know I'd love to add to this list, but they haven't done threads in the gallery for their bugs, and they were left off as well. I went through the current gallery start to finish, if you weren't there, you weren't even in the running.

Some of those above aren't super active, some are extremely active and helpful in the NB.Org community; some have done all their own work (**And I applaud all your efforts** bonus points to you guys), and some have left the work to the professionals. In the end; it's the car that matters, and that's what I tried to pay attention to.

Appearently, my ideal is simple, well-rounded, and a bit leanient towards performance modifications.

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
to me, a "heavyweight" is someone who can do it all with their car. they've got the total package, and it shows. with that said, here's some of my list of "heavyweights" and why:

fowvay: fowvay's pomelo is quite the example of cross-pollination. from the amu audi tt shortblock, to the various euro and oem bits that are scattered through the car, the car as a whole is one of the cleanest on the org, and was my original inspiration in terms of looks. this bug's got a nasty sting, and looks every bit as mean.

eeyore: eeyore's growler is quite frankly the best-done retro nb out. the two-tone is flawless, and the accesories tie it all in. eeyore is the king of the retro steelies, and it shows. many people here rock them because of both of his nbs. a great car for an even better guy.

w00sh: there isn't much to say here except wow...this vert's got some bite to it, and once the apr kit hits it, i'd be very surprised if the car that inspired the theme (911) has anything but taillights shown to it. everything is done with style, professionalism, and grace, and it definitely shows...this is one bug i wouldn't mind getting eaten by. ;)

mentalvdub: brenna has a sick look to her, no doubt about it. from the custom flames to the leopard skin interior, this car is a definite reflection of the driver from head to toe. the caractere body kit sets off the look nicely, adding a subtle touch to the corners of the car, and the motegi wheels definitely add to that. if you're going to do flames, you need to see this car and show it to your flamer...it's that good.

darkangel1.8t: haven't seen him on the new boards yet, but his 2002 gls has some trick stuff done to it. from the custom lamborghini-style door hinges to the beetlecup-inspired bodykit, this platinum work of art is just stunning, and his gobs of trophies back it up.

jeroen: speed blue vert. 'nuff said.

sukhoidave: anyone who knows dave knows he has two passions: russian planes and flying their r/c counterparts. his 2000 glx wink incorporates both those into a clean, nicely done package. from the russian sukhoi graphics to the 54 and 46 on the sides (from toots and the maytals' "54-46 was my number"), the exterior is a masterpiece. inside, you'll find a joystick for a shifter, with many of the buttons actually controlling various functions. you'll also usually find a r/c plane or three in the back of wink as well.

more to come...but the hands are getting numb.

·
Super Moderator
1,138 Posts
I don't have time tonight to do the whole 10+4 thing, but I'm goinna go old skool and say that I think Amber's "Siren" was the hottest New Beetle I've ever seen. It really fit my taste of being custom, but maintain clean and sexy lines and not being overdone. Remember, this is from the way-back day. Most of her styling mods are par for the course now, but at the time, he car was one of the few that looked anything like this. From a quick look back in the old forums, it seems that most of her good pictures were removed (at her request, if I remember correctly) after she was banned, but I did find this one. Not a great pic, but you can still tell how nice the car was...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,319 Posts
This is my nominee. Yup only one. To me there is only one true "Heavy Wieght" New Beetle and it belongs to my good freind Mad Mike. :)

Studbug

I love all the other nominated on the list and I think they are truly fantastic cars.. but there can be only one King of the Heavy Wieghts :D

Tom aka Fowvay

·
Feel the Power!
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah baby... Studbug = the true HEAVYWEIGHT!

I also agree with Jeff's pic of Siren... I've seen Amber's Beetle in person and it's awesome! Here are a few more nostalgic pics from a former ORG member:

·
Banned
2,553 Posts
The Cheat said:
mentalvdub: brenna has a sick look to her, no doubt about it. from the custom flames to the leopard skin interior, this car is a definite reflection of the driver from head to toe. the caractere body kit sets off the look nicely, adding a subtle touch to the corners of the car, and the motegi wheels definitely add to that. if you're going to do flames, you need to see this car and show it to your flamer...it's that good.
that means more to me than you'll ever know. :kiss:

·
I AM SMILEY MAN!!!
310 Posts
Albert, that picture of Otto is roughly 4 years old. Here is what Otto looks like today (and I do mean today, as I took the picture today.

I have always liked jackfrost

Elwood Blues (I almost never see the Batiks anymore)

and the car that I always lose to at car show's Jerry O' (Bugman)

·
ProRally Champ
171 Posts
Fowvay said:
This is my nominee. Yup only one. To me there is only one true "Heavy Wieght" New Beetle and it belongs to my good freind Mad Mike. :)

Studbug
Once again, many many thanks for the plug!

StudBug is a fairly unique piece to be sure. There were, maybe, eight stage rally New Beetles ever built worldwide and only a few of those remain in rally trim today (of course, the 'Cute Car' was the first). If you care to judge the "heavyweight" champ by scales alone I think SB is a shoe-in thanks to the retention of most all its stock parts, the roll cage, skid plates, racing lights, rally rims & tires, various bracketry, square yards of shielding and all the other 'stuff' that a rally car needs to carry (first aid kits, spill kit, jack, tools, spare, nav equipment and of course, a codriver).

I too love all the other nominees but must confess a certain soft spot for Amber's Siren.

MM ...
www.realautosport.com

·
Beetle Cup racer
567 Posts
I did not wanted to post if I was in a hurry but let me vent some things I think are important.

Everyones ride is AWESOME Why, because its a NB !!!:grouphug:

But there are different reason that for ME cars make em special for diferent reasons and all are valid, from a member that has a completelly stock Bug to the group I call the "fearless modders" let me explain...

The NB convertible from Bear is Amazing but I grasp he burned a ton of money to get it as it is, I love that car, but if I had the money to burn Id buy 2 beetles instead! BUT I RESPECT his love and I think is Vert is simply beyond words.
Yelowjkt, is a simple but elegant and very "eye candy" kind of bug and it shows he is very thoughtful about what he does to the car.
Freaky Beetle (if memory serves well) is the Bug with the herbie decals is also awesome for the same reasons
I can include in this group also Silver shadow, Pittbug, Marvins BeetleCUP JCroft former ride and vw2nb.

then come cars that altough not heavily modded I like a lot: because of color combination and or minimum very good mods. Cybergreen Baby, Skittle, Mattsbug,Pdoel and Deserions.

Then come the "fearless modders"
these are bugs where is /her owner has broken stuff, wired something changed parts stuff, rims, tons of bolts and stuff to get what they want.. the true NUT JOBS here at the org (guess where I fit? :D )

Turbo Doc
Phil the Beetle
Fowvay
Hollywood
MentalVdub
Zookie
Bigblockbug
GT2437

I dunno the ride of John Koch but surely it must be good because th eguy knows a ton!!!

Sorry if I forgot someone but I think everyones ride is special...:)

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
Thanks for the pics of Siren. I had almost forgotten how gorgeous she is. :bowdown: This gets one of my votes.

The other, obviously, StudBug. I have admired him since first seeing the commercial in 1999(?). I am also proud to say that I back him, and Mad Mike, in his endevours. :bowdown:

So, add my two votes to Siren, (If OK with Amber), and StudBug.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts