NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this is our third time to replace/repair the rear side window regulators on our 2003 NBC. We have paid auto shops previously to install the repair kits but they only last a year or so, and that is with very limited use. This time both rear regulators have jammed so I am going to try and do the repair myself....it is either that or forever leave the top and windows up!

My question is for any of you who have done this repair and will tell me where you bought your kit(s) and how well the kits have held up for you. Some parts retailers make a big deal about selling the OEM VW kits, but those are the parts that my auto shop guys have used and they appear to still be junk.

I have seen several kits on EBAY for prices between $35-$50 a kit, one of which is made in Poland and claims to be superior to OEM: VW Beetle Convertible Cabriolet Left Rear Window Lifter Regulator Repair Kit | eBay

ALSO, I see that now offered are the regulator clips only (the plastic part that usually breaks:03 10 Volkswagen Beetle Convertible Both Rear Window Regulator Clips Repair Kit | eBay ), both sides for $16.00. This time as soon as our windows stopped we halted and took our finger off of the button in hopes of not winding the cable up tight and destroying it....so maybe we can reuse the cable....

There are so many retailers selling this parts now that I would like some feedback on quality from some of you guys that have used the non-OEM parts.

Thanks for your help and advice!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I will certainly keep you posted Miffmole! If those rear windows did not drop part of the way when the top comes down I would find a way to just glue them up and leave them up all of the time... Owning this car has been a love/hate relationship....similar to old British sport cars...there is not another convertible on the market that we want or like so we endure all of the problems, but these windows are really taking a toll on us....a part that only last a few months is ridiculous!!

I wish someone out there would make a metal clip and market it...I see guys that make custom parts for my motorcycle from billet, why could not someone make these clips from metal?? If they count the number of NBC's sold since 2003 they would have a good market!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Well this is our third time to replace/repair the rear side window regulators on our 2003 NBC. We have paid auto shops previously to install the repair kits but they only last a year or so, and that is with very limited use. This time both rear regulators have jammed so I am going to try and do the repair myself....it is either that or forever leave the top and windows up!

My question is for any of you who have done this repair and will tell me where you bought your kit(s) and how well the kits have held up for you. Some parts retailers make a big deal about selling the OEM VW kits, but those are the parts that my auto shop guys have used and they appear to still be junk.

I have seen several kits on EBAY for prices between $35-$50 a kit, one of which is made in Poland and claims to be superior to OEM: VW Beetle Convertible Cabriolet Left Rear Window Lifter Regulator Repair Kit | eBay

ALSO, I see that now offered are the regulator clips only (the plastic part that usually breaks:03 10 Volkswagen Beetle Convertible Both Rear Window Regulator Clips Repair Kit | eBay ), both sides for $16.00. This time as soon as our windows stopped we halted and took our finger off of the button in hopes of not winding the cable up tight and destroying it....so maybe we can reuse the cable....

There are so many retailers selling this parts now that I would like some feedback on quality from some of you guys that have used the non-OEM parts.

Thanks for your help and advice!
Mine just went a couple of days ago - front passenger side. Qualitywise, I'd go with OEM (not even OE supplier). This is based whole on my experience with non-OEM ones that I have installed on a MB (twice) and just recently on a BMW (twice in less than a month). The non-OEM just didn't hold up in my case, so I paid the extra and did the OEM.

For the beetle, when my RR side went, I took it to a local shop and the ordered the repair kit. I think I'll do same this time. The repair kit has the cables and all essentials, just not the major brackets. See attachment for MY03 NBC vs the full regulator.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
We have finally found a good foriegn car mechanic that knows how to take care of our '06 NBC. We got so tired of getting ripped off by the dealer or having someone work on the car who really did not know what they were doing. it has been such a relief to finally feel confident about taking the car in and knowing that it will get fixed right. That said, Sid our new mechanic, does not use any aftermarket parts. Having worked on VW's for almost 30 years he says that, with VW's it always pays to go with OEM parts and replacements. I believe him after having had 2 MAF's aftermarkets last only a year or so and the right rear and left passenger window regulators/motors (?) less than a year. since replaced with OEM parts, no issues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts