NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

For all those that need to repair their rear window regulator (as in your window will only go half way up then automatically reverses and goes all the way down, or your window is stuck at the bottom and grinds when you try to put it up).

After making sure that your window switch is not bad, you will need to get behind the side panel to see what is wrong with your regulator.

This video is very helpful in removing the side panel and getting in to see the regulator.

Video - VW Technical Service Training - New Beetle Convertible - Rear Side Window Removal

Once you determine that your regulator cable is messed up, I ordered this part:

Volkswagen New Beetle 2.0 > Interior > Window > ES#325738 Window Regulator Repair Kit - Left Rear - 1Y0898291

Here is the common part in the window regulator that breaks. It is a swivel that both cable ends mount into.

Here it is with the cables in the broken piece.

And flipped over.

And an overall of the regulator assembly for reference:

In the above pic I have arrows to the black swivel piece that breaks and hits on the bracket where shown. It hits and cannot go any further so the window goes back down. Do that a few times and the black swivel breaks further and the cable that pulls the window up becomes disconnected and a tangled mess of cable around the motor output shaft ensues!

I am lacking in pics so I will explain the best I can.

When you disassemble the regulator to make the repair, you take the motor off, with 3 screws. The 4th screw holds just the regulator cable wheel housing part that comes in the repair kit and the cables. So with all 4 screws out you can remove the motor and broken cables and install the new regulator cables and related housing and pieces. Do not install the motor yet. Just the cables and the wheel and its housing. The housing can be held on nicely with the one screw.

You will find the cables are incredibly tight. 3 or 4 hands would help. Something I learned when making this repair is that if you move the window channel (for lack of a better term) to the bottom position (or as if the window was down or open) it gives you the most slack on the cables.

I first installed the cables around the wheels and into the black swivel piece (the one that was broken) as shown below in this picture with the white line.

Then once you have it as shown, stretch it over the white slide block as shown below by my white lines.

Then once to this point, stretch the black swivel over and onto the stud on the window channel. This is where having the channel toward the bottom will give you the most slack, but it will still be tight (very tight, compresses both springs pretty far). See below.

My pic above shows the window channel about half way up, I did not have any pics of the channel at the bottom, so you will have to imagine.

Then once you get the swivel on the stud (don't forget your washers and spring and a generous amount of white litium grease) and the nut tight, you are ready to install the motor onto the regulator housing.

Now grease up the 3 paths for the channel with a nice slather of white litium grease. I also put some on the exposed cables for good measure.

Now add a zip tie on the cable sheathing where you removed one, and then you are ready to re install the regulator assembly per the video.

When I made this repair I had to search around and biuld up confidence that I could do this. Hopefully this thread brings enough of the process to one place so you can feel sure that you can complete the repair.

Dealer quoted me $1300.00 to do the repair, I have $100 in parts and shipping, and about 4 hrs time.

Good luck and happy motoring!

Mark

·
Registered
762 Posts
Hello,

Dealer quoted me $1300.00 to do the repair, I have $100 in parts and shipping, and about 4 hrs time.

Mark
Sounds like they priced you a whole new regulator kit with new glass and module/motor.... the worst way to try and repair this since you then get to spend more time trying to get the new rear glass adjusted correctly.

When I was at the dealer, this was just under a $400 job with parts and labor.

I'll add this to the mix here.... if you find that the only messed up part is the black diamond plastic piece that the ends of the cables fit to, then ONLY replace that part. If the cables didn't get chewed up, reuse them! By reusing the old cables, you will find that there is less stress on the replacement black diamond piece, so it is less likely to get split apart again.

I've done these repairs many times and in some cases, the new kit would fail after a few weeks/months because there is just too much tension on the cables. If only they were only a hair longer, this wouldn't happen..

·
Registered
961 Posts
Clip

Can you replace the clip with the regulator intact, not pulling the whole unit?
Sounds like they priced you a whole new regulator kit with new glass and module/motor.... the worst way to try and repair this since you then get to spend more time trying to get the new rear glass adjusted correctly.

When I was at the dealer, this was just under a $400 job with parts and labor.

I'll add this to the mix here.... if you find that the only messed up part is the black diamond plastic piece that the ends of the cables fit to, then ONLY replace that part. If the cables didn't get chewed up, reuse them! By reusing the old cables, you will find that there is less stress on the replacement black diamond piece, so it is less likely to get split apart again.

I've done these repairs many times and in some cases, the new kit would fail after a few weeks/months because there is just too much tension on the cables. If only they were only a hair longer, this wouldn't happen..

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have just repaired the passenger side of my daughters NBC rear window regulator. I used an aftermarket repair kit. Previously on the otherside I have used a genuine VW part.

There is a problem with the latest repair in that when fully retracted the window stands proud of the body by about an inch. I am unable to adjust the window to both meet the top of the passenger door window and fully retract. I notice that the diamond cable joiner piece is hitting the bump stop at the bottom of its track though the window mech is about half an inch short of running out of track. Is that nornal?

I see now that I did deviate from Bentleys guide. I bolted the regulator tightly in to the body, then tightened the top plate down. Bentleys only loosely tighten the regulato, then fix the top plate,then finally tighten the regulator up.

so now I’m not sure if the cause is the aftermarket kit, or my deviation from procedure,

Any ideas?

·
Registered
13,535 Posts
I have only used the genuine VW repair kits; even then, getting the repair kits, back on the pulleys, were a challenge. You might post some pictures; of the specific installation issue you are having and this will help us, see the issue you are dealing with. This should help us see the issue; then, members, can chime in with some advice. I have heard of aftermarket repair kits; causing members problems and some, modified theirs to get them to work. I always recommend the genuine vw repair kits; as they are the most cost effective, highest quality, fit correctly and seem to last the longest. Whenever, I have installed chinese regulators; they seem of inferior quality and don't last. In my opinion, if you have to modify a kit; to get it to work, I doubt it will last or work well long term. Post up those pics and hopefully, we can see the issue, thanks.

PS: would you consider, returning the aftermarket kit and using a genuine vw one or is this not a option?

·
Registered
961 Posts
i have just repaired the passenger side of my daughters NBC rear window regulator. I used an aftermarket repair kit. Previously on the otherside I have used a genuine VW part.

There is a problem with the latest repair in that when fully retracted the window stands proud of the body by about an inch. I am unable to adjust the window to both meet the top of the passenger door window and fully retract. I notice that the diamond cable joiner piece is hitting the bump stop at the bottom of its track though the window mech is about half an inch short of running out of track. Is that nornal?

I see now that I did deviate from Bentleys guide. I bolted the regulator tightly in to the body, then tightened the top plate down. Bentleys only loosely tighten the regulato, then fix the top plate,then finally tighten the regulator up.

so now I’m not sure if the cause is the aftermarket kit, or my deviation from procedure,

Any ideas?
Did you ever get the window height issue resolved? Did you replace the whole regulator or just the cable clip?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi
Did you ever get the window height issue resolved? Did you replace the whole regulator or just the cable clip?
I did not look at it again. It's my daughters car and she lives away. She just brought the car to me for a day for it to be fixed. That's generally the pattern, when she needs something she comes home!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts