·
TDIer
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever put a TDI in their NBC?

·
Registered
950 Posts
Technically doable as they have TDI NBC in Europe, economically it doesn't make much sense unless you had the New Beetle with a TDI that had an accident that was just body damage, and also happened to have a NBC that had a good body but a dead engine. And then piles and piles of time for this hobby project.

If you don't have all three, then it's just going to cost to much to be worth it in my opinion.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am going to do this. Today I picked up a 2004 with out a front end or engine in GA. I have a TDI that I will fuse with the Convertible. Not sure if it will be a TDI Cabrio, a NBC-TDI, or what. For now the project is called Georgia... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1 Posts
New user here so go easy on me :)

I have a 1998 NB TDI with the ALH motor and I have a 2003 NBC with the 2.Slow, (both manual trans). The NBC motor is getting tired and blowing a little smoke So I'm thinking of swapping the ALH from my "winter beater" over to the NBC. Since I have 2 complete driving vehicles technically I have everything needed for the swap. ;)

Has anyone attempted the swap? I know they never made a TDI NBC in Canada and I love the economy but miss the drop top.

Best of both worlds? :D

·
Super Moderator
5,305 Posts
It has been done, there is a post somewhere on TDI club where a ALH was put into a Cyber Green NBC.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have a 1998 NB TDI with the ALH motor and I have a 2003 NBC with the 2.Slow, (both manual trans). The NBC motor is getting tired and blowing a little smoke So I'm thinking of swapping the ALH from my "winter beater" over to the NBC. Since I have 2 complete driving vehicles technically I have everything needed for the swap.
Actually this may work better than you think. I'm pretty sure the 98 TDI does not have an immobilizer, so you don't have to worry with that. The wiring will be slightly different and you will want the TDI cluster as it is different. Also, the TDI transmission has different ratios, so plan on swapping it along with the engine. Keep the shifter & linkage from the 03 as it is way better than the 98. I would recommend an Audi TT short shifter while you are doing everything else.
Probably a good time to replace the clutch and look over the seals, etc. I would consider sending the TDI ECU out and getting it modified. They had a hot start issue that can be eliminated. While you are at it, consider getting a mild tune as well. You won't be disappointed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts