VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 new beetle 2.0 and it is having all kinds of problems. Worst of all it wont start without a jump.. I know, I know.. sounds like an easy fix. But let's face it, I wouldnt be on here if it was.. everytime someone is sure it's one thing, it's all the sudden a mystery again. I know that my cam sensor is failing and the only active code is the file injector is low to ground.. whatever that means. My gut tells me its electrical. I'm a single female that works two jobs and still struggling.. and I cant find anyone that is reasonably priced that knows anything about VW's. Someone help??

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Ok a no start without a jump is generally a battery or an alternator. A bad alternator can also kill a good battery if the good battery is allowed to discharge enough times.

Most auto parts stores will check your charging system for free. If the alternator is not putting out between 13.7-14.4 volts when the car is idling then the alternator is dead. If the alternator is working and every time you shut the car off the battery is dead in short order then the battery is likely bad. Of course this assumes all your cables on top of the battery are clean and tight.

A compromised charging system can cause all kinds of weird electrical problems, fix the battery/alternator system first then tackle anything that crops back up.

A cam sensor is something you can change yourself.

As far as a mechanic, where are you located? Maybe some members on here can make some recommendations.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Like I said it's not that simple. Ive had the battery and alternator checked by two different auto parts stores and both say everything checks out and I don't believe that my battery actually dies when my car is off because when I start it it doesn't click, it turns over but doesn't actually start. It just seems the only things that actually works to get it started is a jump, although a jump box doesn't work nor does popping the clutch, have to actually use jumper cables with another car. And idk if you know much about new beetles.. but no, the cam sensor is most definitely not something I can do myself. I'm in oregon, washington county area.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I misread cam for crank sensor, cam is much more difficult to change. Have you had the cars codes read yet? I assume so, what are the codes that come up? The actual code numbers not a description.

One area that is problematic with the electrical system is the fuse block on top of the battery, the fuse block has some melting issues which cause poor connections and result in electrical glitches. One fix is to take the wires loose and clean the connections , with a worst case being replacement of that plastic fuse block, and sometimes even replacement of some of the wires.

Does anyone in the Oregon area know someone who can help this lady out?

·
Registered
27 Posts
You didn't say "Good" or "skilled" mechanic..lol. can you post a picture of the panel area? Those wires on top of the battery provide electrical power to various systems. The exposed metal wires are fuses. Those get melted if they have poor connections. Also the ground cable under battery tray gets very corroded and that may be causing a bad ground connection between the engine, body, electrical system maybe that's part of all your problems. That sensor needs a good ground through the system. If you take the battery out and the tray underneath the ground connections are there and usually in poor shape. My guess is that only a portion of your battery voltage is making its way into the electrical system. Can you post a picture of the top of the battery area?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts