VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
2008 "Fowvay" yellow NB
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sort of looking for a cheap New Beetle. I can only afford maybe $5K and would prefer something even cheaper. I'm hoping for a 2004 and probably want to go with an automatic 2.0 (slo) and just need something that will run for a couple more years. I'm very interested in peoples thoughts and advice, not just cars that are for sale.

Thanks

Hope to be back in a bug some time soon!

·
Super Moderator
14,832 Posts
That's so good to hear! When I was on my search, I asked the same, for my friends to find and send me links. The one I drive now, was just one of those!

I'm glad to hear you are coming back. We missed you! :)

·
Wife's 01 1.8T mechanic
629 Posts
My advice would be to buy a manual transmission, and a car with the best service records you can find. 5k should allow you to get a decent car.

·
Super Moderator
14,832 Posts
Oh, and I have a piece of Wink in my car. :)

·
2008 "Fowvay" yellow NB
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK I should have known the org crowd better. I should know that no self-respecting org member would call any NB a clunker. My apologies... Let me rephrase my subject line - I'm looking for an affordable/inexpensive New Beetle from around 2003 or 2004. Probably an automatic 2.0L model that has known it's share of TLC. I'd love a white one, platinum gray, silver or ,of course, black.

·
Premium Member
4,315 Posts
Google 01M (98-02) issues problems etc. It's a really fragile and poorly built automatic that should be avoided at all costs. The newer 09G 6 speed tiptronic if it has had it filters and fluids changed every 40,000 to 60,000 miles is actually pretty bullet proof providing the previous owner ignore Volkswagen's insistence that transmission fluid can be "lifetime".

Thankfully I think the 01M ended life in 2002 so 2003 and up should be good to go. :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
2004 red one with auto, cranks all day with no intention of starting, $1500 haul this thing outta here 149K miles. Westminster. SC 864-221-8967

·
Registered
4 Posts
Beetle for sale

I have got a 98 blue volkswagon automatic beetle I am trying to sell. I was looking for 3000 dollars for the car or best offer. I'm going car shopping this weekend and deff need it gone. This car is really clean and looks great for being a 98. I live in Baltimore Maryland.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts