NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 VW Beetle 2.5L hatchback that has a laundry list of problems and is WELL beyond the point of repair (transmission slips, sunroof leaks, battery is dead, interior damage due to sunroof leak, etc.. ) The best offer I've gotten from those salvage/we buy junk cars places is $200. I have the car listed on a few auto sales sites and no bites because of all of its issues and the rampant availability of cars with less miles and in better condition. My TLDR question is : does anyone have any suggestions for parts that myself and my decently handy friend can salvage from the car to help us prioritize what we can pick and sell ourselves prior to just scrapping the car at the best rate we can get?

I was looking on ebay and saw that there are many parts that *seem* simple enough to get out : the headlamp assemblies, the blinkers, the rear lights, some of the knobs on the front dash, the radio, etc... that I could seemingly sell for well over the $200 estimate and potentially STILL scrap the car out for that $200 estimate so the more advanced pick your part places can scrap out the engine parts.

ANY advice is highly recommended and I apologize in advance if I have posted in the wrong place or if this question has already been answered. I am in a big bind right now. I love this car but I really need something new to drive and the money I gain from parts / scrapping is going to be all I have towards purchasing a new vehicle.

Here are some details about the car if its relevant:

2007 VW Beetle 2.5 L Standard w/ Sunroof, Leather interior, 5 disc changer, heated seats
Problems: Fuel line pressure / sensor issue, slipping transmission, dead battery, leaking sunroof
Previously wrecked but repaired by insurance company a few years ago ( side panel and rear axle replaced )
Recently Replaced: Spark plugs, Tires x 4, tensioner pulleys, AC compressor
Miles : Approx.180,000
Single owner car, clean title in hand

·
Registered
35 Posts
Your heated seats are worth big bucks if they're in decent shape and they're fairly easy to remove. I've seen people on here list things like door panels, arm rests, glove box handle, dash panels, and lots of other things that can be easily removed. Youtube is a huge help on removal of other things that seem intimidating but aren't

I think you should take a couple pics of your car and post it on here see what kind of offers you get.

Good luck!:D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for the swiftly delivered advice! I will most definitely look into the heated seats as a potential.

My main concern here is that the skill level to remove + the size/shipping potential to be able to sell on ebay without the shipping costing an arm and a leg needs to be ... applicable I suppose is the word I'll choose here.

I was hoping for some targeted advice as to what parts to really prioritize for the "best bang for my buck" so that I don't have to research each individual item. Otherwise I'm literally just looking at Ebay's recently sold parts listing for my car and looking it up on youtube as to which of those parts I think I'd be able to get out on my own.

I've been going off of this list so far :

2007 vw beetle | eBay

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
From what I have seen, anything that has wires connected to it and interior and external trim pieces are often in demand. If the lower engine cover is in good shape, it would be worth pulling.

If the radio is a CD player or better yet a CD with SAT button as long as you have the security code this is worth something. Pull the cluster as well.

Again, most things with wires attached are small and easy to ship and are usually in higher demand.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts