NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI :) The A/C in my 2001 Beetle just slowly went out. I took it to a shop today and the estimate was $1,400! The tech said my clutch on the compressor was going out so I needed to replace the compressor, condenser and various smaller components in the system. What i am wondering is if this is common and sounds correct? I just moved to the Phoenix area so I do not know which shops are on the up and up. I also know nothing about the A/C system so I wouldn't know how to tell if the estimate is correct.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Half of that estimate is going to be labor time as the condenser requires removal of the entire front of the car's outer body.

Insist they show you the parts they are going to use and verify that the parts are genuine VW parts. $700 is genuine VW part cost range for what you're needing.

The only way to make it cost less would be to use cheaper parts, or cheaper labor.

·
Registered
249 Posts
HI :) The A/C in my 2001 Beetle just slowly went out. I took it to a shop today and the estimate was $1,400! The tech said my clutch on the compressor was going out so I needed to replace the compressor, condenser and various smaller components in the system. What i am wondering is if this is common and sounds correct? I just moved to the Phoenix area so I do not know which shops are on the up and up. I also know nothing about the A/C system so I wouldn't know how to tell if the estimate is correct.

I am in Bullhead City and have a repair shop here that will install the compressor, dryer, vac the system and fill it with Freon for around $400.00. Got to ROCKAUTO.com for the a/c kir for $268.00. You are alittle far from here, but search around different shops. I'm sure you'll find someone cheaper.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
950 Posts
I am in Bullhead City and have a repair shop here that will install the compressor, dryer, vac the system and fill it with Freon for around $400.00. Got to ROCKAUTO.com for the a/c kir for $268.00. You are alittle far from here, but search around different shops. I'm sure you'll find someone cheaper.

Hope that helps
The poster also needs to have the condenser replaced, I'm guessing that is where the leak in the system occurred otherwise there would be no reason to replace that part.

So $400 for your labor and charging the system, and then 270 for the hardware, not sure what is in that kit. That's $670 right there.

Now add in about $150 for the condenser and we're over $800. Add the labor of installation which the VW manuals say is about 7 or 8 hours and you're close to the $1400 originally mentioned.

This is an expensive repair due to that condenser change which is why for myself I did all the major replacements on my bug as my repairs needed even more work than the OP.

Just be glad none of the hoses are leaking, on my Beetle I had to have 3 hoses replaced, the condenser, the compressor, the dryer, and expansion valve. The only thing original now is one hose and the evaporator. The hoses cost the most of all parts as only VW has them. Hoses cost me over $1000 in parts, each was around $350.

·
Registered
950 Posts
All I was trying to recommend is a second opinion......;)
I know, I just didn't want to forget the stupidly expensive and time consuming part of the job.

Text doesn't allow for easy differentiation of friendly addition from ass biscuit correction. ;)

·
Registered
950 Posts
Maybe you can tell me..... How can you tell if the condenser is shot??
:eek:
Well on my car I was able to tell by putting my finger in the hole where the lower AC hose connected. There must have been a flaw in the metal there which lead to the connector breaking off.

Hrmm...

How did this shop decide that the condenser needed to be replaced? Based on the description it sounds like a slow leak was occurring and the system is empty. So did they do a leak test with dye?

·
Registered
4 Posts
The tech said "the clutch was going bad". I would replace the clutch without removing the compressor or opening the system.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts