VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Love my 2008 Beetle convertible. Super fun to drive, when it drives. It only has 40K miles and I got it used in 2011. I work from home, so I obviously don't drive it a ton. Since 2011, I've had numerous electrical problems (I know, I know - it's a Beetle and my 2001 was similar), and other issues. I wish I had my papers in front of me that outlined all the repairs and correct names for them, but I left them in my glove compartment, and my car is back at the dealership (shocking). Here are some of the issues I can think of off the top of my head:

-Hazard switch/other switches in console have had to be replaced twice. Car began having the signal sound go off wildly while driving. So weird and annoying.
-Catalytic converter was replaced (car basically stopped driving in middle lane on highway - super fun)
-Car has had trouble starting or died multiple times and wouldn't start, and initially each time they assumed the battery was just bad. I've had like 3 or 4 batteries, so now they realize it's some bigger issue.
-Possibly needs comfort control module replaced (extended warranty wants to wait on this?)
-Vacuum pump and gasket have been replaced
-Alternator harness melted and was replaced
-Safety switch having to do with airbag had to be replaced. Can't remember exact name for this but it was super expensive
-Numerous lights have gone out multiple times, but I consider that to be a bit more normal than the above?
-Windows have issues going up or down sometimes.. but I know that's common

That's all I can think of at the moment. Here's my question: Extended warranty is up in Dec and has luckily covered the majority of the big repairs. Should I keep my car until Dec and then sell it (I am NOT keeping it once the warranty expires), or should I sell it now? I'd get back a bit of money from the extended warranty, and I assume my car is worth a bit more now than in December..

The dealership I take it to now (other one failed to diagnose many of these problems) has been super helpful, but they kind of act like these things aren't.. abnormal.. but not exactly the norm either. They just act like it's not a huge deal.

I don't know anyone with a car with such low miles that has had these problems. Am I overreacting??

·
Registered
758 Posts
If you want the continued reassurance of an extended warranty, by all means trade the car in. When you want to look for a replacement is up to you, but if you're going to be looking for another used VW (presumably one with an extended warranty), I'd start looking now so you don't feel pressured to "settle" for something you may not be 100% happy with. If you're going to buy a new car (any make or model), you could wait until the next model year comes out and try to find a deal on "last year's model".

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Given you work from home and do not drive the car often, likely take shorter trips and the lower mileage on the car you need some sort of battery maintainer.

This could be something like a Battery Tender Jr or a solar panel you plug into the cigarette lighter and put on the dashboard.

This would be true of this car or any other car you own based on the mileage and your description of your driving habits.

I also wonder if any of your electrical issues, especially the alternator harness melting were due to improper jump starts/battery being connected backwards??

If the above is true, this may have been the source of many of your electrical issues?

Catalytic converter problem, this is pretty common on the VW's would not have expected it on the 2008, but it is still possible.

Numerous lights going on, if you are referring to the low beam headlight bulbs, this can be normal as the NB's Daytime Running Lights are not dimmed down enough so the bulbs run almost full brightness the entire time the car is running.

You should think back when all of these problems started and think about if someone may have jump started the car with the cables connected backwards. This may be the source of many of the issues with this car?

Also there may be a problem with the wiring in the fuse box on top of the battery, this is another problem area due to loose connections.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts