NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I am thinking about purchasing a new beetle and need advise to see if its priced right. It is a red 2003 1.8 with a manual transmission and 89000 miles on it and they are asking 8999 for it. It is a dealer. I reciently became interested in these cars and dont know anyone else who has one. Any advise would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
14,718 Posts
What are the details of the red 2003 New Beetle?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just wanted to know anything about 2003 beetle 1.8 gls t is that a good car and wanted to know what a car with about 90,000 miles was worth it looks to be in great shape

·
Super Moderator
14,718 Posts
The reason I asked was that in 2003, there were many different models, some limited editions, and the sort.

Do you have a link to the ad, or a pic or two that we can look at, so maybe we will know more about this car?

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Three 2003 1.8L Turbo Models, GL, GLX, Turbo S
- basic difference, the GLX ungraded the interior trim from cloth to leather and the sound system from standard to Monsoon. TS had this and added 17" alloys and stab control standard.

The GLX has a 5spd manual transmission, no options
The Turbo S has a 6 spd manual transmission, no options

Two options available on the GLX: 17" Alloy Wheels, Stability Control, neither included in value

No options available on the TS, 17" Wheels, Stab Control Std.

The only North American Special Edition I can find mention of is the "Chromaflare" ("chameleon" color changing paint)

Based on Edmonds, Houston TX Region
Outstanding Condition -
Exceptional mechanical, exterior and interior condition, no visible wear, no cosmetic or mechanical issues, tires nearly new.

GLX - High Private Party Retail $6309, High Dealer Retail $7582
Turbo S - High Private Party Retail $6653, High Dealer Retail $7915

These prices would assume all scheduled maintenance items (timing belt and water pump, 2nd set spark plugs, etc) have been done thru 85k miles, a Dealer would perform the 90k mile.

No VW Dealer would be offering this as a CPO with this mileage, a Dealer might have an extended warranty of some type included at that price, but it would need to included and be a good one to command $8,999 if it were a Turbo S, and I think it is probably a GLX as Oper thought GLS, and it's probably the Dealer that gave out that information.

The reality, this is probably a GLX that, unless it has the 17" alloy wheels and the Stability Control, should probably fetch $7000, all service current, in Clean (one step below Outstanding) Condition. From a Private Party, the same car $5900.

http://www.edmunds.com/volkswagen/new-beetle/2003/?ps=used&sub=hatchback&zip=77092

M.

·
Wanna Walnetto young lady
178 Posts
KBB list this car at $8665 in excellent condition, but most cars fall in the Very good to good category. Almost $9000 is too much for this car, regardless of condition. Assuming it has 90,000 miles, it will probably require some maintenance work done soon. If you could get it for $6,000 to $6,500 I would do that. There are great Beetles around for that price.:)

·
Premium Member
11,013 Posts
I agree, the price is too high. At 90k it'll probably need a timing belt replaced and that's a pretty big expense. I have 260k on my 2001 so they are most definitely capable of high mileage. Good luck!

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Although the price is on the higher side, it is a 'Dealer' So i'd of thought you'd get a warranty of some kind with it. If you are set on this Bug, i'd use the fact that it's a dealer to haggle on the warranty side more than getting the price of the Bug down.

Go for cambelt change and water pump before buying. A parts warranty can be worth it's weight in gold on an older Bug. If it's just a dealer and not a VW Dealer, i'd be a bit more spprehensive about buying at such a higher price.

:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts