NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beep..Beep..HI!!
I'm brand new to the Beetle scene. Just got mine yesterday! And DH got a 2000 Jetta. Instant VDUB Family!!
It only came with one, really worn, switchblade key. I would like to get another and a spare (for just in case).

Does anyone know the who, what, & wheres about getting a new key made for a '99 Beetle and 2000 Jetta??

Thanks much,
Susan
=0)

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Hello Susan,

I also just became a 1999 Beetle owner. I found a blank key on ebay and the dealer cut it for free when I purchased a few small parts. The local locksmith wanted $35.00 so I passed on that.

Ron

·
5/23/10 <3
10,931 Posts
Lucky you had a nice dealer...the dealer by me charges I think close to $200 for a switchblade and that includes programming. Regular keys are even expensive there because they charge around $50 for programming...I hate it. I want a new switchblade but its just too expensive. Good luck finding one cheap from the dealer.

·
ToD Maiden Voyager
3,403 Posts
check out keylessride.com---i've dealt with them before---reasonable prices, and excellent customer service.

they'll sell you a new factory remote ($89), and the blank key/keyholder is $44 extra (at least for the new beetle).

You'd still have to get the key cut and transponder matched to the car(s)...might be easier to use these prices as a bargaining chip with your local dealer's parts department...hey, I got these prices on factory keys...i want to get two of 'em...what kind of deal can you give me? :D :wink:

good luck---let us know how it goes.

Warren

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
the bf got a blank key off ebay... then took it to a dealer to get it cut and programmed - I think the whole ordeal set him back about $150

·
Premium Member
985 Posts
We recently bought a '99 that only had one switchblade key. I was afraid we'd lose the key or lock it in the car.

I bought a new switchblade remote off of ebay for $85. The dealership cut the key for $35. The price they'd quoted me for a new unit from VW was $225-250, so I feel like I got a good deal. Remote works great! Just be sure you bid on the right remote for your model bug. Good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have an almost new switchblade remote from my 2K Jetta. It was only used a few times since I was the only driver.

You would need to program the car for the remote, instructions are all over the net. A blank would also need to be purchased and cut if you want to do more than just unlock the car.

Make me an offer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts