VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 NB. I've search and read the many posts on the problem with the AC failing. I've checked and replaced a bunch of stuff, and I think I'm close to fixing it, but need confirmation that I'm on the right track. Here's what I've found, done, and suspect...

PROBLEM:
The driver side fan does not come on. The compressor clutch is not engaging. The passenger side fan DOES come on. AC light comes on on the dash.

WHAT I'VE DONE:
  • Checked the interior fuses 5, 16 and 25. All are fine.
  • Checked the fuses on top of the battery. None have melted, BUT...
  • The black wire from the fuse box to the alt was crazy hot, the fusable link contected to it was discolored. so...
  • I replaced wire with new one. I left the harness in place, and just disconnected from the box and alt, and ran a 6 gauge wire from the box to the alt.
  • I also replaced the fuse box, just to be safe.
  • While I was in there, discovered the air pump mounts were all broken, so replace them. (not relevant to the AC problem, but, jeez!)

So I've fixed and eliminated the fuse box issue as the cause of no air. Now I'm looking at the fans themselves.
  • Pulled the triangular plug from the high temp sensor. Used a jumper wire to confirm at high and low only the passenger side fan comes on.
  • Spinning the fans by hand, the driver side one has a lot of resistance while the good fan spins easily.
  • Pulled the driver fan out of the car. Cut the tabs on the motor and opened it up. No obvious problem with it. The videos I've seen show bad brushes, but mine are all contacting the rotor just fine.

So here's where I am, and what I need confirmation of:
  • I'm still guessing the fan itself is bad, so I'm going to replace it.
  • In my reading, is my understanding correct that, because the fan isn't spinning, the clutch won't engage? So if I replace the bad fan and it works, the clutch should work and I'll get chilled?
  • Does the fact that one fan works and the other doesn't ELIMINATE the high temp sensor AND Fan Control Module as possible problems? In other words, can it be something other than a bad fan if one works and the other doesn't at both low and high speed?
Thanks for the input. This site has saved my bacon (and money) many times.

-Cameron

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
fans

2004 NB. I've search and read the many posts on the problem with the AC failing. I've checked and replaced a bunch of stuff, and I think I'm close to fixing it, but need confirmation that I'm on the right track. Here's what I've found, done, and suspect...

PROBLEM:
The driver side fan does not come on. The compressor clutch is not engaging. The passenger side fan DOES come on. AC light comes on on the dash.

WHAT I'VE DONE:
  • Checked the interior fuses 5, 16 and 25. All are fine.
  • Checked the fuses on top of the battery. None have melted, BUT...
  • The black wire from the fuse box to the alt was crazy hot, the fusable link contected to it was discolored. so...
  • I replaced wire with new one. I left the harness in place, and just disconnected from the box and alt, and ran a 6 gauge wire from the box to the alt.
  • I also replaced the fuse box, just to be safe.
  • While I was in there, discovered the air pump mounts were all broken, so replace them. (not relevant to the AC problem, but, jeez!)

So I've fixed and eliminated the fuse box issue as the cause of no air. Now I'm looking at the fans themselves.
  • Pulled the triangular plug from the high temp sensor. Used a jumper wire to confirm at high and low only the passenger side fan comes on.
  • Spinning the fans by hand, the driver side one has a lot of resistance while the good fan spins easily.
  • Pulled the driver fan out of the car. Cut the tabs on the motor and opened it up. No obvious problem with it. The videos I've seen show bad brushes, but mine are all contacting the rotor just fine.

So here's where I am, and what I need confirmation of:
  • I'm still guessing the fan itself is bad, so I'm going to replace it.
  • In my reading, is my understanding correct that, because the fan isn't spinning, the clutch won't engage? So if I replace the bad fan and it works, the clutch should work and I'll get chilled?
  • Does the fact that one fan works and the other doesn't ELIMINATE the high temp sensor AND Fan Control Module as possible problems? In other words, can it be something other than a bad fan if one works and the other doesn't at both low and high speed?
Thanks for the input. This site has saved my bacon (and money) many times.

-Cameron
If a fan has a dragging feeling to it than it's bad and needs to be replaced or repaired. If one fan does not work the car's coolant will run hot mostly at stop & go traffic or at Idle.
if the condenser does not get air flowing through it the high side of the A/C system rises and it trips or disengages the compressor clutch because of high pressure in the system.
If I were you I would replace both fans.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
A/c

Thanks. Fans on order, we'll see how it goes.
you can replace those through the bottom. Just remove the rain splash guard, three torx screws, the fan electrical plug.

Did anyone try to recharge the system with Freon? it could have too much Freon pressure, that's one reason the clutch is not engaging.

You have access to a set of manifold gauges and know how to use them? If you do know try this; with high and low lines from the manifold gauges hooked up and the car's engine off both pressures should be equalized high/low between 90-110 psi. Start the engine, put blower inside cab to at least one setting and push the A/C button in, A/C button should light up, both electric fans by the radiator should come on, The A/C clutch should engage, if clutch engages then The low pressure on the manifold gauges should come down to around 30-40 psi, the high should go up to around 180-220. try that and get back to me...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts