VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own a 2000 new beetle 1.8T. I bought it around 70K miles and now has 130,000 miles. I was looking into getting a 2006 TDI beetle, but am hesitant because mine has needed so much work over the years whether big or small it seemed to always have something wrong. I love it though at the same time. So basically if anyone has any info on the 2006 TDI bugs on their reliability and what not, Id love to know how they hold up or if they might be just as bad as my 2000. I did hear the 99-01 years were probably the worst. Any feedback would be great though :) Thanks

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
Get one with verified maintenance by a TDI mechanic and you should be fine. Check out tdiclub.com for bugs for sale. Some owners have had cam issues with the BEW but my mechanic says he hasn't seen a failure when the proper oil is used. 170k on my 05 and only a few issues like the alternator died relatively early. Wait for the right one and you will be happy.

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
My 2005 has been really good (knock on wood) Just had to replace the glow plugs a few months ago. Coming up to 71k miles and will have to do the big service: timing belt & water pump at around 80k

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My 2005 has been really good (knock on wood) Just had to replace the glow plugs a few months ago. Coming up to 71k miles and will have to do the big service: timing belt & water pump at around 80k
That's good to hear! The one I'm looking at buying has just under 70K. Hoping it has been taken care of well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts