NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I have a 2000 New Beetle and my fan does not blow on any speed. I have heard from the shop that it is a relay that goes out frequently, and is a simple fix. However, the shop wants a lot more money to fix it than I have. I think I can replace the relay myself if someone can just tell me which one it is.

A friend helped me some the other day, but he is not a VW mechanic and doesn't know which one it is.

He tested the heater resistor under the blower motor and heater core, and it was ok. The blower motor is also ok. He said there is no power to #25.

I am not very mechanical, however, I think I can take off the cover from under my steering wheel and switch the relay. I know that there is one big rectangular one and 3 smaller, square ones.

Will someone please show me a picture or something so I can get some heat in my car?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, since he tested the circuits, and has told me that circuit #25 has no power, that makes sense, because my fan will not blow air into the passenger compartment no matter what speed it's turned to. At higher speeds, I do get some air movement, but only with it on fresh air (not recirc).

To make sure I am understanding the manual correctly, I am looking for the #13 relay (coolant fan control (FC) Relay (53)on the 13fold auxiliary relay panel?

It's the only one I see that has anything to do with fans. I already know that I don't have any power to fuse pos 25.

I don't mean to sound stupid, I am just trying to get some heat and I don't really understand how to connect which relay goes with which fuse.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
First, the coolant fan control relay has nothing to do with your fresh blower. The coolant fans are the fans at the radiator that cool the engine coolant.

If you have no power at {S225} (fuse #25), there is a wiring issue. This fuse, along with [S2] (emergency flasher), [S226] (rear window defogger) and [S226] ( intermitent widshield wiper relay and winshield wiper/washer) are all serviced by a lead from the [J59] load reduction relay. Are the other other components listed in that circuit working? Not sure why you would have no power on the upstream side of just that particular fuse (#25). Perhaps who ever gave you this information meant there was no power at the fresh air blower switch coming from fuse #25. Or he meant there was no power downstream of the switch at the blower. Or perhaps you misunderstood what he was telling you. Very unlikely one fuse, on a circuit serving four fuses, has no power.

If there was no power for the circuit, I'm not sure how your friend determined the components were all good. You have to start by checking for voltage at the upstream side of each component. And then the downstream if applicable. It is a process of illimination, isolating which component has failed. My linked post walks you through the diagnostics and the easiest order based on accesibility. If in fact, there is no power at fuse #25, it's an easy enough test to power up the circuit beyond the fuse by simply power it up from another FUSED power source (this, may in fact, be what your friend did).

MORAV

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I'll try to get this all at once.

"This fuse, along with [S2] (emergency flasher), [S226] (rear window defogger) and [S226] ( intermitent widshield wiper relay and winshield wiper/washer) are all serviced by a lead from the [J59] load reduction relay. Are the other other components listed in that circuit working?"

Yes, all the other components in this circuit are working.

"Fresh Air Series Blower Resistance w Fuse [N24] - turning switch to high, position 4, will bypass this component"

When I turn the fan switch on my instrument panel to high (#4) there is still no air movement through my vents.

"Blower Fan fuse - check fuse Pos [S225] 25A
Fresh Air Blower [V2] - check for power at connector, check for continuity to ground"

The fuse is not blown. My friend used an electrical tester thing (orange box with switches and a black wire and a red wire) and tested the circuit. This circuit has NO power when tested where the fuse plugs in.

"Fresh Air Blower Switch [E9] - check for power upstream of switch, check for power on downstream side, any or all of the four speeds
I have put up all the information you should need below."

"To get to the blower, you'll have to remove the glove box, go to this link for that R&R"

Ok, we removed the glovebox, we removed the face of the blower motor and tested it. The motor is fine, it works. The heater core works because it does produce heat (didn't remove that, it's a moot point since I can't move the air). We removed the panel on the bottom of the blower motor housing that holds the heater blower motor resistor and tested it- it is ALSO fine.

At this point I am at a loss and am wondering if I need to try and take the cover off of the instrument panel where one turns the fan (the one that isn't working- the switch between the temperature selector and where you want the fan to blow) on and off and seeing if there is a piece of metal missing in there like I saw in another thread. However, since I have no power at Fuse #25, I really don't believe that it will solve the problem.

Any more suggestions? I'd love to hear them, because it's been averaging about 30 degrees here in the mornings, and it's not fun at all with no heat!

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I'm still a little confused. Are you talking about the Air Door Moter?

I'm going to post the System Overview so you have a visual and method of part identification.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, parts #8 and 9 were tested and work fine. I didn't know that the air door motor could be a problem, but maybe this answers the question:

when the key is in the ignition and turned to on, if you have the radio off, when you push the "recirculate" button (the one that controls whether you get fresh air in the car or if it just recirculates what's already in there), you can hear it shut; which would indicate to me that the air door motor works.

Did that help?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fan and Audio not working

Hey folks!
My girlfriend's 2000 beetle have some problems and she asked me to take a look at it. The interior fan not responding on any speed and audio is not working too. But 12V adaptor on the bottom is working...
First of all i was thinking of some fuse. I've checked them (especially 25 and 26) but all of them are ok.
My second thought was about relays. Today I've reached them, but haven't found any info which one do I need. The one relay map I've found tells me that none of them are about Fan and Audio...
Any ideas? Something tells me that problem is pretty simple and common

1 - 10 of 10 Posts