NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New problem this time. Yesterday morning i go to get in the car and the door lock would not turn.....messed with it for a minute and it finally turned and unlocked the door. went to pull key out and no luck, now the lock spins all the way around and have to spin to the right spot to get key out. So I drove my truck to work, I get home and both front windows are down.....roll them up come inside go back out and windows are down again. So I put it in the garage with windows up....guess what....3 hours later, windows are down again.

What can I do to fix this?

I am starting to think I made a mistake in buying this car. If I can't get over some of these little issues it will be out of here.

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
One of the 'nice' details about the Beetles is that the driver can roll down/up the windows using the door key.

Sounds like you need to have the lock cylinder removed and cleaned/lubed. If the key is left rotated at the door latch itself in just the right spot? It can roll the window up/down depending on the position of the lock.

Sounds odd, but if you've ever removed the lock core? You see it's got a small tang like a screw driver hanging off the end of it, and it mates to a matching plastic round bit on your latch.

S-

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks tedybear. i just removed the lock cylinder and looks like its missing a few pieces. i think i may have positioned the cylinder so the windows will stay up.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
I 'am not sure that a 99 would do that. I don't have one hopefully someone can spaek to wether tha 99 do that.

It is handy in florida during the summertime,helps dump the heat out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
BMW's have the exact same issues.

Sounds like you do not have a working keyfob for the car?

Just like the BMW's, the link between the rear of the door lock cylinder and the door latch assembly is made out of pot metal/weak on purpose. This is to reduce vehicle break ins when someone tries to force the drivers door lock cylinder.

BUT, the phantom window issue is also a BMW problem as well. Usually on the BMW the problem is with the door latch mechanism. The door latch mechanisms in the Beetle's get pounded to death due to the large, easy to close doors. So it is not unusual for the door latches to need replacement.

My 2003 convertible which I have had since it was new is on latch #5 & #6, meaning this is the 2nd set of door latches installed in the car.

You could repair the door lock cylinder and see what happens, but if the windows are still going down, the problem is with the Hall Effect switch in the latch mechanism, probably will need to be replaced.

Also wise to get a working keyfob and use this to access the car as the door lock linkage breaks and then you may have issue getting into the car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts