NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter's car is having a problem. She says the fan will not turn off. They are currently disconnecting the battery when not using the car. I suspected the water temp switch, but when they unplug that the fan continues to run. From what I read can this be a bad control module?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Bob

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Here are the complete cooling system diagnostics, per the Bentley, for the NB. The diagnostics for the thermo-switch is toward the end, with the diagnostics for the fans. Obviously the fans are operating, so if it's not a faulty thermo-switch, it would more than likely be the control module. At this point, from your post, I believe it could be either.
http://newbeetle.org/forums/2-0-liter-gas/52013-overheating-problem.html#post753256

MORAV

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are the complete cooling system diagnostics, per the Bentley, for the NB. The diagnostics for the thermo-switch is toward the end, with the diagnostics for the fans. Obviously the fans are operating, so if it's not a faulty thermo-switch, it would more than likely be the control module. At this point, from your post, I believe it could be either.
http://newbeetle.org/forums/2-0-liter-gas/52013-overheating-problem.html#post753256

MORAV
Thanks for the link. I have been leaning toward the fan control module. I've been trying to figure out which one she has in her car now so I can order it. I haven't looked at her car since she is 1.5 hour drive from me. I was hoping to get the part and then run down there.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
However, you don't know that it's not the thermo-switch. Always verify part number by VIN. Be prepared with it if your going to a dealer.

M.

·
Jitterbug
1,086 Posts
The fans are triggered by the radiator thermal switch, not the coolant CTS.

If the fans run with the radiator thermal switch unplugged then it is either the Fan Control Module (common) or a very rare wiring fault.

Rad Thermal switch is accessible from under the car, rear face of the radiator, drivers side (LHD), large 3-pin plug goes straight onto the switch in the radiator. Unplug it to test if the fans still run then the FCM is most likely cause.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts