NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
120,000+ miles
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My NB is due for a TB/WP soon and am going to order the kit from ECS.

I also want to order some new brake pads but am quite confused about which ones to order - I do not think my 99 (AEG) has the sensor - but can someone suggest which pads would be best? (I don't know what the "Big Brake Kit" is that is on esctuning - and don't know if it's what I need - my first thought is no). Do I need to have mechanic check rotors before I decide how far the brake "project" is? The tire shop said that the pads are just under half worn and there is an occasional vibration - or is this vibration something else starting to go?

Also, does anyone know right off which size center caps I would need to replace on my Take Fives? 55mm? These?

Suggestions/ideas appreciated!

Thanks,
Beth

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
The '99 doesn't use wear sensors so just get standard pads. The "big brakes" pads are for people who have upgraded their brake rotors to larger than standard sizes.

I currently get my rotors turned at Sears Automotive. They seem to have the best price around here. ($11 per rotor) They will let you know if the rotors are too thin to turn. If you have calipers you can measure yourself. They need to be at least 20 mm thick to have enough left for turning. I think a lot of people just replace the rotors every time nowadays.

I got the Meyle rotors for the rear brakes the last time I did them and am happy with how they have held up.

·
120,000+ miles
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks folks, had the indie shop look at the brakes - yep, am shopping for rotors and pads.
Great owner, he's letting me bring the pads & rotors as well as the TB/WP kit.
4 hours (< $400.00)to do the TB job? Wow, I'm jumping on this and telling everyone I can about him to hopefully send some biz his way!

·
120,000+ miles
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brake pads and rotors going on the car today, hope the shop doesn't run into any snags. Went with Zimmerman and Pagids from GAP. Ordered the TB/WP kit from ECS just about an hour ago.
Bluenote is mine forever! Well, my goal is to put antique plates on him.
Thanks
Beth

1 - 6 of 6 Posts