NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I've got my Beetle in a million pieces and it's currently awaiting another turbocharger, at 210,000 miles I was told by a mechanic that the turbo and the exhaust manifold would need to be replaced/rebuilt. My budget is $650 max, the cheaper the better. I need a quick turnaround time if I were to send it in to get rebuilt (under 2 weeks please not including shipping). I'd also like to find someone who would send me a rebuilt one and refund some of the charge if I were to send them my old one. I've had trouble dealing with larger companies, and I've had the wrong turbo sent to me twice. The turbo I need is attached to the exhaust manifold, so I need to get that whole giant piece. The car is a VW Beetle 2000, 1.9L TDI, the turbo I need is a Garrett VNT 15 (except this one I need is fixed to the manifold). Can anyone help me out? This has become quite a nightmare. A friend of mine that owns an imports car shop has agreed to do this for me at a heavy discount and all I have to do is get him the part. Otherwise the estimate I got was $2000 for parts and labor to fix the turbo.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,933 Posts
You can check classifieds on VWVortex or TDIClub. Also check with Gpopshop. They rebuilt the turbo on our old '84 Jetta diesel and I think they also sell units as well for new VW turbos.

Just stay away from Prothe. His prices are tempting but his parts are garbage (hansdiesel, Rothenbacher engineering...he's got dozens of sites but they all have too good to be true prices).

·
Registered
867 Posts
Boraparts.com has new and rebuilt turbos. Looks like new is $839, you can call and see if he has any rebuilt. He also has the vnt17 for $897 which his a little bigger but not much more for an upgrade. idparts.com has the same pricing. You might look on tdidclub.com, there are lots of good used turbos forsale after upgraded turbos were installed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Don't Use G-Pop for Turbos

You can check classifieds on VWVortex or TDIClub. Also check with Gpopshop. They rebuilt the turbo on our old '84 Jetta diesel and I think they also sell units as well for new VW turbos.

Just stay away from Prothe. His prices are tempting but his parts are garbage (hansdiesel, Rothenbacher engineering...he's got dozens of sites but they all have too good to be true prices).
Smileybug,

We are only a few hours away from G-Pop's Shop. We decided to do some business with them. We regret it. We bought 6 rebuilt turbos. The most expensive one rivaled our cost for a new one. It is still working. From the other five, we had three 'Pop' in less than a month. We are very lucky that an engine was not destroyed in the process. G-Pop wouldn't warranty or refund, except on the unused one. They tried to blame us for the problem, finding any excuse that they could lay their hands on. It's not like the junk he sold us are the only turbos we ever installed. We've sold and installed PLENTY of new Garrett and Borg Warner turbos.

Our joke about the company became, "Gee, another one went POP!" They do not know what they are doing with the TDI's VNT-15. Stay away from G-Pop.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,933 Posts
Well our experience was great so I will recommend them. They upgraded parts of our turbo as well. Can't complain at all for what we got with our T3 from them.

·
VAG/TDI Tech
6 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts