VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - the attached photos are of the engine in my 1999 VW Beetle - which was/is the 1.8 turbo. This is not the original engine and does not look like the pics in my repair manual of the 1999 1.8.
In 2007 the previous owner had an engine put in the car, but all the invoice says is: 4 cylinder used longblock.
This does have Germany and VW stamped on it, but I don't know where any other identity info would be.
Any identification would be greatly appreciated!!

Attachments

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Vw Engine Code - How To Your Vw Engine Code

There are a number of variables here; some say, if the engine is a vw factory rebuilt log block, they do not have markings on the head or if the head was swapped from another engine, it may not be the same code or a different code, from a different engine. So, there are some unknowns but check for the code, that would be a somewhat educated guess, while not knowing the history of the "new"/used swapped engine.

This page; could possibly, help you identify what car the engine came out of:

http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?34368-1-8T-20V-Engine-codes-FAQ

general 1.8T info:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?450388

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=1.8T+engine+codes

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Billymade - Thank you very much for the info! So far, all I've found are these letters - Germany HI (maybe H1) WWO RAU (not sure on the R). I will clean the area more and see if those letters are correct and if I can find anymore.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also want to add that my engine does not have the upper intake manifold that my manual and different videos I've looked at show - with the 4 pipes.

In my pics nothing has been taken off of the engine except the cover and 2 breather hoses.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
manifold

Also want to add that my engine does not have the upper intake manifold that my manual and different videos I've looked at show - with the 4 pipes.

In my pics nothing has been taken off of the engine except the cover and 2 breather hoses.
Your engine is intact it does not miss the manifold. It's just like mine and the only thing missing is the SAI pump hoses and the plastic cover that go's on top of the engine. There should be an engine code written on the block, right side I believe.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,412 Posts
I think maybe you're looking at videos of a 2.0. Like this?

As said, your engine is in tact. You just need to find the engine code.

·
Registered
21 Posts
In your first photo, off to the left of the engine oil reservoir, there is a cover, it's the timing belt cover. It might be dirty beyond recognition, but if you look closely enough, it might tell you the engine code. I know on my 2003 1.8, that's where my code was. Hope that helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts